No announcement yet.

Quebec bans religious teaching in publicly subsidized daycares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTOH, it seems fairly pointless to have religious daycare that's forbidden to have any religion. It would be much smarter to privatize the whole thing and cut out the hassle for all involved.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
      Is this during hours of operation paid for by the state?

It's during the hours of operation of what amounts to a private business that is paid by the state on a per head basis for providing a service to citizens who choose to use the service.

It's no different to a religious college that receives funds from the government to provide classes to people seeking a diploma, and there will be religious services, by the way.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Still pretty iffy. Like I said, this isn't a huge deal, but it'd be smarter to totally privatize the matter.

On a different note, I just realized that possibly as much as one cent of my yearly earnings is used to fund the "National Postal Museum." I feel that is one cent too many for such an astronomically boring subject.
        1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
          Canadian society has a day where a majority of people do not have to work that conveniently coincides with the day for Christian mass.

Most Jewish and Muslim parents are working on their significant day during the week. I can't for the life of me figure out why they would have rabbis and imams visit daycares.
          If they choose to work on their holy day I am sure they aren't working a 24 hour shift. How about an evening get together?

Is this the best you've got?
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Canadian society has a day where a majority of people do not have to work that conveniently coincides with the day for Christian mass.

Most Jewish and Muslim parents are working on their significant day during the week. I can't for the life of me figure out why they would have rabbis and imams visit daycares.
            I didn't know most jewish parents in Canada worked on saturdays.

Comment

Friday sunset sounds like Friday, to me.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Friday sunset sounds like Friday, to me.
                Ahh, jewish kids spend friday evening in a daycare. Got it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                  If they choose to work on their holy day I am sure they aren't working a 24 hour shift. How about an evening get together?

Is this the best you've got?

Yes. Assuming we pay more than lip service to multi-culturalism, urging tolerance and accommodation on issues that are really pretty trivial to you or I is the best I've got.

Of course, if all you care about is what you think is right, and expect society to conform to your views even on trivial matters, intolerance is a good way to go.
                  Last edited by notyoueither; December 23, 2010, 00:18.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    Ahh, jewish kids spend friday evening in a daycare. Got it.

Get this, sunset in most of Canada is during the working day this time of year.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

If they're working after sunset then they're bad Jews anyway.

Not to mention the fact that "Friday after sundown" takes up only a few percent of the daycare week, even during the winter.

And you've also been relatively dishonest about the scale of government funding; the government ponies up something like 85% of the total cost.

I've got an idea: pay to take care of your own ****ing kids. I have no idea why anybody thinks I should pay for them to have children. I especially don't know why I should pay for a Sunday school in disguise.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think you are mistaking being low key and not pushy about religion with it being absent from public life.

God keep our land...

I, [name], do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors. So help me God.

It will be good when this goes to court and the regulation gets punted.
                        And yet our governments (UK and Canada) are, for all practical purposes, much more secular than the US. Where public and policy are riddled with religious considerations at all level. They still even have 19th century issues like abortion as policy issues!

Could a confirmed athiest secure a nomination for president from a major party in the States?
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Yes. Assuming we pay more than lip service to multi-culturalism, urging tolerance and accommodation on issues that are really pretty trivial to you or I is the best I've got.
                          So what is the Christian excuse? Are they working on Sunday or can they just not be bothered with saving their souls on their day off? Never mind, the answer to that is in the other thread. Do you want to buy a church?

Of course, if all you care about is what you think is right, and expect society to conform to your views even on trivial matters, intolerance is a good way to go.
                          My friend in public school was obligated to stand in the hall while we sang the national anthem and recited the lords prayer as these routines were offensive to his faith. That is where your "tolerance" leads us. Been there and saw how crappy it is to have faith in public institutions. Thankfully we have moved forward as a society.
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

It's kind of weird how the UK and Canada have this entanglement of church and state despite their lowered religiosity. Or perhaps it's not in spite at all, and religion has withered as a partial result of being made an arm of government? Any Brits or Canucks care to speculate?
                            1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                              Could a confirmed athiest secure a nomination for president from a major party in the States?
                              Not a chance, and with good reason.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                                My friend in public school was obligated to stand in the hall while we sang the national anthem and recited the lords prayer as these routines were offensive to his faith. That is where your "tolerance" leads us. Been there and saw how crappy it is to have faith in public institutions. Thankfully we have moved forward as a society.
                                I don't see any problem with people standing in the hall like that. Even though I myself am not sure whether religious education is a good thing for kids.
                                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                                X