No pay, no spray: Firefighters let home burn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS View Post
    That's what happened when the firefighters were privately-run societies, as they were for much of US history. Mob-infested.
    Didn't the cool dude in your avatar start the public fire department trend?
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
      You idiot.

They live that way because they CHOOSE to.
      That's the very sort of smug sanctimonious arrogance I'd expect from someone who's had everything handed to them on a gilded plate...

I bet all the tens of millions of US citizens that live in abject poverty and don't even have access to free medical care chose that too, huh?

No, it was an accident of birth, you self-righteous little pr1ck - pure blind luck that you get all the benefits living in the US could possibly give - compared to all the disadvantages the US could possibly saddle you with...

Perhaps one day, you'll wake up and realise how lucky you are? I somehow doubt it - which is a sad indictment on all the advantages you've had in life...
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Okay, I'm done arguing with Welsh BK.

I like how he's got the selective quoting down too. He's conveniently missing the part where I point out that it's not actually possible for me to influence this issue.

Comment

Except that what I take issue with you about is your attitude - which you are more than capable of changing.

Don't worry though, reading your posts is like time travelling with Kuci back when he was as young and obnoxious as you are now. Assuming you follow his example, you'll stop being such a nasty little pr1ck as you mature...
          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
            So people just shouldn't have to pay for firefighters anymore? It should all be free? WTF?
            It should be a universal service paid for out of the county's general tax funds as it is in civilized states. Why are these southern states so ****ed up?
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
              It should be a universal service paid for out of the county's general tax funds as it is in civilized states. Why are these southern states so ****ed up?
              They don't live in the city which was providing the service. Residents of the city do not have to pay a charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                They could just charge him a massively higher charge than the 75 $....for example 1000$
                (after all he said he would pay whatever they wanted, if they just came and put out his fire).
                I assume most people will find it better to pay just 75 $ a year, than risk having to pay >= 13 times
                this value at once in case of a fire
                The point is that if they did that, and everyone actually preferred to save the $75 and only pay if they needed it, the income stream might be too irregular to support the department.

iow the risk pool might be too small

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                  If nothing else, it would seem that some kind of change is in order.
                  You're a commie, ain't ya?
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    They're true. That's what makes them pathetic.

It says a lot about a culture when your neighbors watch your house burn down when they can do something about it.

America is a heartless country. The bottom line is more important than people's lives and people's livelihood. The American dream is to push down others so you can rise to the top.
                    QFT

Comment

So entrepreneurialism is, in your mind, a zero-sum game?

Comment

Who are you talking to?

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
                          I bet the city sees a surge in payments now.
                          ...exactly my point...
                          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

As I understand firefighting, putting out one fire involves spraying it with air and water and pushing the flames to another location. (ie displacing the fire). In this case that would mean causing a neighbor's house to burn down, so I'm not sure why anyone would be advocating that.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                              As I understand firefighting, putting out one fire involves spraying it with air and water and pushing the flames to another location. (ie displacing the fire). In this case that would mean causing a neighbor's house to burn down, so I'm not sure why anyone would be advocating that.
                              I just ran this by my brother, who is a private arson investigator with a masters degree in fluid dynamics, and he confirms this is 100% correct.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij View Post
                                Sounds like a Libertarian paradise to me :b

Thank god I live in Kommiedutchistan...
                                actually a libertarian would offer a couple rates - pay 75 now, or 500 when your house is on fire
                                this sounds more bureaucratic than market oriented, they had their stupid rule and stuck to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X