Had my first experience with Brasilian police last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had my first experience with Brasilian police last night

last night i went to couch surfing meeting in copacabana, stayed later than i intended and had to catch the bus instead of the metro. it was about 2am and i decided to get off the bus by a favela called jacarezinho which is close to my house, and i started walking home. i heard a voice from the shadows saying "stop", which i ignored, but the voice called again and when i looked i saw two guys with big guns and police uniforms. so i walked over and started talking to them.

"can i help you?"
    "where are your drugs"
    "what?!"
    "you've just been to jacare...where's your drugs?
    "i don't have any drugs"
    "come on, why don't you just tell us what you have"
    "i don't have anything..."
    "well, what are you doing here, where do you live"
    "i'm going home, i just got off the [number] bus, i live nearby"
    "yeah right...let's search you"

so they searched me and after finding nothing, sent me on my way.

i walked down the street, turned the corner and there's another two cops, one points his gun at me and tells me to stop

"woah...calm yourself...i've just spoken to your friends back there"
    "what are you doing here?"
    "trying to get home"
    "you've been to jacarezinho...where's your cocaine"
    *shakes head*
    "ah, marijuana, you have marijuana, yes"
    "no, i don't have anything"
    "ah sure, you like to smoke marijuana..." turns to the other cop "this ****ing gringo goes to jacare to buy marijuana and thinks it's ok, he thinks it's cool..." turns back to me "so where's your drugs"
    "if you want to find marijuana why don't you to jacare yourself instead of pointing your gun at me..."(i, luckily, managed to stop myself from calling him a son of a ***** or a coward at this point)
    "you speak bull****, gringo, why don't you make it easy and give me the drugs"
    "nah, i trust in Jesus Christ, have you heard about his good news? i don't need drugs..."
    "bull****, we'll see when i search you"

so the guy searches me and predictably finds nothing. the bastard did grab my balls though, at which point i made an excited yelp and he withdrew his hand very quickly in disgust, then told me to **** off, muttering obscenities under his breath. i walk off chuckling to myself.

i was quite drunk when i got the bus but the cops pointing guns at me sobered me up a lot! obviously i hadn't done anything wrong, but i was a bit concerned that the cops might try some to plant something and then extract a bribe, but i think the fact that i look like a scruffy bum and had like 2 reais in my pocket put them off that idea! i was pleasantly surprised that i was able to be a bit cheeky in portguese, pissed at 2am, as well.

fun and games, fun and games...
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

to give a little background. in rio, in places like jacrezinho and many other favelas, there are guys openly selling drugs on the street. there will be maybe 4-6 guys with a table or sometimes just a blanket, selling marijuana or cocaine (or sometimes both) and there will usually be other guys with automatic weapons in the vicinity to provide security. sometimes a house will be used as a 'drug post' as well. the police don't dare to go into these places and instead their approach basically involves skulking around nearby and trying to catch people from outside the favela, who buy the drugs. i'm sure i don't need to write an essay on how effective this policy is...
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Why do you willingly live in such a country?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The free reach arounds!
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; December 22, 2010, 20:13.
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Word to the wise - not even the zipper pocket is safe in Brazil.
            Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Hey Gringo, you learn Portuguese pretty quick, yeah?

Reminds me a bit of being driven into the slums of Guatemala City to score some coke by our host there. The police wore balaclavas to conceal their identity, and guns were everywhere and people weren't shy to use them.

Asher has a point. Swansea couldn't have been that bad.

Comment

Swansea chicks versus Rio chicks ?
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Man I thought this was going in a whole another Direction
                  Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

No, that's Turkish police.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                      Hey Gringo, you learn Portuguese pretty quick, yeah?

Reminds me a bit of being driven into the slums of Guatemala City to score some coke by our host there. The police wore balaclavas to conceal their identity, and guns were everywhere and people weren't shy to use them.

Asher has a point. Swansea couldn't have been that bad.
                      yeah i chose to live in an area well away from the touristy part of city, where (almost) no one speaks english, so i'm forced to use portguese every day in order to get anything done. also i like to go out and talk to people a lot, which has helped improve my language skills a great deal. don't get my wrong, i'm not fluent by any stretch of the imagination, but

swansea wasn't that bad, i had a pretty good life there to be honest. the thing is that i dreamed of living in rio for so long, and i'd always rather regret doing something than regret not doing it if that makes any sense. almost everything that's happened since i got here has been good, but of course, i knew that some less cool things would happen too at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        Why do you willingly live in such a country?
                        Only a heterosexual would understand. You live there for very heterosexual reasons. Brazil
                        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

You think they're only famous for their females?
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Brazil the cops may be dodgy, but at least they let you live
                            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I think I'll stay in boring suburbia where getting a speeding ticket means you're living on the edge.

And going 20 miles an hour over the limit, because 15 miles an hour over is normal.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                              X