No announcement yet.

The game of the name, Swedish edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Umm... where is Sven? Olaf? Karl? Erik? Names like that? They're not on the list.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
      Umm... where is Sven? Olaf? Karl? Erik? Names like that? They're not on the list.
      Erik is there right? But yes, that's an acute observation. Parents of today don't like (most) "traditional" names because they sound "old" or are too "common". So they name their runts after movie stars, Lord of the Rings characters and famous feminists.

If I had posted a quiz of the most common names of the entire population all of the ones you mentioned - and other staples like Johan, Marcus, Thomas, Per, Fredrik, Henrik, Lars, Stefan and so on - would be top 20 or 30.

Comment

Anni-Frid
        Björn
        Benny
        Agnetha

(why hasn't this been done already? )

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
          Did I/we pick the wrong set of vikings?
          Swedes aren't real vikings, they only sailed around on russian rivers

I didn't had much luck either and sweden is some 30 km from me - got Adam, Gustav, Oscar and Alice rigth.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Hans?
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york View Post
              Anni-Frid
              Björn
              Benny
              Agnetha

(why hasn't this been done already? )
              It is about the most popular names today, not back in the 70'ies
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                Anni-Frid
                Björn
                Benny
                Agnetha
                Fernando?

Björn (= Bear, and not in the gay sense) is a good, strong name. Agnetha is also respectable.

I don't think Anni-Frid and Benny were ever considered cool. Benny sounds like an alcoholic or small-time criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  Hans?
                  Christ, polytubbies ability to read isn't very good

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
                    Benny sounds like an alcoholic or small-time criminal.
                    Yeah, it's probably as bad as Børge

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                      Yeah, it's probably as bad as Børge
                      Actually, we have this expression, Y-namn.

All male names ending with -y are considered low status, trashy names and a curse to their bearer: Lenny, Kenny, Benny, Danny, Johnny, Ronny, Sonny, etc. - and most legendary of all, the king of the moped gang - Conny.

Comment

Well, y-ending names isn't common here, so I can't say that the same goes here.

Concerning Børge, have you seen Olsen banden, that is the danish version where the there is a boy called Børge ? I'm not saying that he was a wunderkind, but after those movies he really screwed up on booze and drugs - suddendtly he popped up on the danish version of Talent 2009 with this :

I guess that you have to like such to appreciate it, but he is actually pretty good (oh, and he lost). Sorry for the threadjack.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

The guy I best remember from Olsen banden is the one with the big hat, the "brains" in the group. But as you probably know we have our own version that was very popular so I've never had much opportunity to get to know the Danish version.

Börje is the not the most statused of names (nor popular), but I haven't encountered any particular stereotype with it. The most famous Börje I can think of is Börje Salming, pretty legendary ice hockey player so the name can't be all bad.

Comment

An ice hockey player Well, if he at least had been a football player, so .... oh, wait, never mind

Steven Weinberg

Comment

In Oslo the most popular name is Muhammad, with Ali not too far away. Sweden has a much larger immigrant population base, so I'd guess something similarily surprising.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Checked the links. Lots of good, old Swedish names there. Surprisingly old school.
                                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                                X