The game of the name, Swedish edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The game of the name, Swedish edition

Can you guess the top 30 most popular names for Swedish newborns in 6 minutes? Well, probably not but now you can try.

If you get more than 5 I'll be impressed as I wouldn't expect Swedish people to get most of these right. Many of these seem pretty odd and unusual to me and I guess that's why they're popular with all the unique individuals of my generation.

QUIZZES BELOW, TRY THEM PLEASE!

Boys' names
    Can you name the top 30 names given to boys in Sweden in 2009?

Girls' names
    Can you name the top 30 names given to girls in Sweden in 2009?

Now that you've tried the quizzes (above), if you want to talk about weird baby names you can do that too. Moon Unit, anyone? I know there's much weirder out there.
    Last edited by Kitschum; July 29, 2010, 17:47.

Sven
    Bjorn
    Frieda
    Hilda
    Eivind
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I don't think I even know 10 Swedish names to begin with... Sven, Olaf, Helga, Leif, Erik, Karl... hitting a wall here. Knute. Harald.

Way to be obscure, Kitschum.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Hagar the horrible

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Odin. Thor. Loki. Do you guys actually name your kids that?

Gustav.
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Did you try the quizes? Or was I unclear that's what you were supposed to do.

Comment

Gustav!! I was trying for the life of me to come up with the name of that famous king. You definitely beat me.

Comment

We had two famous kings named Gustav. The first (Vasa) and the second, although you might be thinking of the second who got killed in Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
                  Oh, I thought those links were for lists of the names. Which would take away all the fun of trying to guess. It was unclear that they were quizzes.

Comment

It should be clearer now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
                      Was I unclear that I can't even think of 10 Swedish names to begin with let alone the top 30 per gender?

I suspect not many Apolytoners know more than a dozen Swedish names either.

Comment

Some are surprisingly similar to English names. Besides, you can wait 30 seconds and click the button for give up to see the answers.

Comment

Yea, I cheated and hit the button and was surprised to see how many "normal" names that are common here. Is that because of American/English influence, or did some of those names come from Sweden?

Comment

I would say that many are common to Germany, France, Spain as well. But some are definitely due to recent British or American influence.

For instance, Kevin, although not in the top 30, is a surprisingly common name, and a sure sign the parents are on the lower rung of the social ladder.

Comment

Also, I was surprised that some of the names AS & I came up with, which seem to be to be stereotypical Swedish (or perhaps Scandinavian) names weren't on the list. Are they traditional names that have gone out of favor? Did I/we pick the wrong set of vikings?

Comment

Working...
                              X