No announcement yet.

It's High Time I Developed a Scotch Habit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i can't quite get my head around why english people care about what the irn-bru swilling, deep fried mars bar munching, moaning, miserable c*nts north of the border call themselves/are called by others.

also, joseph conrad was polish...
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
        I have yet to see anybody in this thread explain how Scotch in reference to the people from Scotland is derogatory. To hear Polytubbies tell it, the Scotch just get off on being angry at the world and that therefore I should conform to their arbitrary naming conventions. Do I give the Scotch too much credit?

It's an English corruption that only gained a temporary acceptance in Scotland in a post-Culloden time of grovelling adherance to English social mores by social climbers. It was already on the way out over 150 years ago- A J P Taylor only persisted with it because he was a lengendarily fusty old romantic over how wonderful the English are.

It's about as accurate and relevant as replacing "American" with "Colonial."
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

DanS is clearly a loyalist. We'll have to eliminate him when the British invade us again.
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
            It's an English corruption that only gained a temporary acceptance in Scotland in a post-Culloden time of grovelling adherance to English social mores by social climbers. It was already on the way out over 150 years ago- A J P Taylor only persisted with it because he was a lengendarily fusty old romantic over how wonderful the English are.

It's about as accurate and relevant as replacing "American" with "Colonial."
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

I am going to start doing that from now on I think.
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

If you think it's descriptive, I have no problem with it.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                  It's an English corruption that only gained a temporary acceptance in Scotland in a post-Culloden time of grovelling adherance to English social mores by social climbers.
                  What the Scotch think about it only has minor relevance, as far as the wider English-speaking world goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty View Post
                    Thats easy for you to say, you dont have to live on the same island as them
                    This is true. But we have to put up with all the NASCAR-loving goodness of the Scotch-Irish.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                      What the Scotch think about it only has minor relevance, as far as the wider English-speaking world goes.

Except that it's also supported by the rest of Britain, and by the rest of the English-speaking world that isn't ignorant or wilfully backing a losing argument.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Typical of the kind of arrogance we expect from Colonials.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                          i can't quite get my head around why english people care about what the irn-bru swilling, deep fried mars bar munching, moaning, miserable c*nts north of the border call themselves/are called by others.
                          Yeah... **** you too.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                            Typical of the kind of arrogance we expect from Colonials.
                            Now, now. DanS is just willfully being a **** sucker, right now.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Looks like our troll community finally rubbed off on him.

Pity about his target selection.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                                Yeah... **** you too.
                                oh pipe down fake scotch.
                                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                                X