No announcement yet.

It's High Time I Developed a Scotch Habit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be nice to see him explaining that as he's punched in the nose somewhere in Scotland.

1965 is a long time ago. Even so, he sounds like just the kind of pompous stuffed shirt, I would thoroughly dislike. Trying to impose his traditionalist view on a modern, expanding and ever changing and mutating language.

And I wouldn't suggest using an English historian, or any English point of view as justification for saying the wrong term if you were in Scotland or talking to Scots.

See also in that article

That the use of "Scots" is the modern preferred use in all levels of society in Scotland is not in doubt
    Not in doubt. In America it's likely no-one will care, but anywhere in the UK and especially in Scotland it'll be evident that you are using the wrong term through ignorance or arrogance. Both of which I think I could correctly term as stupid things to do.

*shrug*
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

Gee, Dan, you actually managed to mildly piss off Mike -- I didn't think that was possible!
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

True.

For future reference it was the "Educate yourself" bit that did it.
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
          1965 is a long time ago. Even so, he sounds like just the kind of pompous stuffed shirt, I would thoroughly dislike. Trying to impose his traditionalist view on a modern, expanding and ever changing and mutating language.
          So, basically, you have no arguments against him. It may have mutated in Scotland, but there's a wide English-speaking world out there. The Scotch may have to adjust. Or they can just be pissed at the world. Their choice.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Just gives the scots what they want, theres little point antagonizing them as they are a proper stroppy bunch already.
            Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

DanS is begging for a punch on the nose with this "scotch" nonsense.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

So threats by meatheads now make perfectly fine alternative appellations unacceptable?

I don't think so.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Thats easy for you to say, you dont have to live on the same island as them
                  Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                    So, basically, you have no arguments against him. It may have mutated in Scotland, but there's a wide English-speaking world out there. The Scotch may have to adjust. Or they can just be pissed at the world. Their choice.
                    Not sure about the wide English-speaking world. So far it's just you being an ass about it.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

So now I'm an ass for recognizing a perfectly acceptable alternative appellation? You're not thinking straight, Mike. Don't get all emotional about it.

Comment

I don't know why you would label them stupid. It's just the older way of naming. Read a few older English novels and it's all Scotch, not Scots. Educate yourself.

If it's in old English books, it must be right.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I don't know about you but this thrade makes me extremely emotional.
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I don't know why you would label them stupid. It's just the older way of naming. Read a few older English novels and it's all Scotch, not Scots. Educate yourself.
                            English exonyms are often ludicrous.
                            Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                              If it's in old English books, it must be right.
                              I have yet to see anybody in this thread explain how Scotch in reference to the people from Scotland is derogatory. To hear Polytubbies tell it, the Scotch just get off on being angry at the world and that therefore I should conform to their arbitrary naming conventions. Do I give the Scotch too much credit?
                              Last edited by DanS; July 8, 2010, 15:38.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdWizard View Post
                                English exonyms are often ludicrous.
                                Yes, they very well may be. But that is not the case here.

Comment

Working...
                                X