It's High Time I Developed a Scotch Habit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
    Except that it's also supported by the rest of Britain, and by the rest of the English-speaking world that isn't ignorant or wilfully backing a losing argument.
    Why on Earth would it matter if the rest of the British back the Scotch in this regard?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
      Typical of the kind of arrogance we expect from Colonials.
      I have yet to hear a cogent argument from you in this thread. If you want to sit at the adult table, then make a good argument.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

To recap my winning argument, for many centuries, the Scotch has been called the Scotch in the English language. The United States is an English-speaking country, but Americans have long since stopped giving a **** about local modifications made to it by the English or the other British. Inasmuch as standardization of the English language goes on, we hold our own counsel. In the US, Scotch was an acceptable appellation then, and remains so today. It is not an appellation that is in the least sustained by ignorance and its use is not intended to give offense to the Scotch -- it is descriptive and communicates the concept well.

Comment

To recap my winning argument.

Dan? The post-Victorian era called. You're 170 years late for the party.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

In the US, the standard English language does not much reference post-Victorian Britain. For obvious reasons, I don't think Americans have to apologize for that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                In the US, the standard English language does not much reference post-Victorian Britain.

Better add a "Gadzooks!" for authenticity, in that case.

Comment

Don't catch the reference.

Comment

And an "i'faith!". Call me "Sirrah!" too, or nobody's going to take this "I insist on talking like a Georgian throwback" seriously.

Comment

• You are not taking the argument seriously. Quite simply, the English language developed from a common origin separately in the US and Britain. There is no shame in Americans following conventions developed in the US.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS View Post
                        You are not taking the argument seriously.

Egads! Thine base perjuries assail mine ears, thou colonial poltroon!

Methinks thine beaver-skin hat dost overheat thy brain and summon forth base humours! Away to the natives, jackanape!

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS View Post
                          You are not taking the argument seriously. Quite simply, the English language developed from a common origin separately in the US and Britain. There is no shame in Americans following conventions developed in the US.
                          Speak for yourself. I've never used "Scotch" in reference to northern British types except as a child.
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• Quite interesting - a yanky trying to dictate what other people should accept as correct naming of them.
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• I've never used "Scotch" for Scottish people. Even as a child I knew better. I wonder if DanS uses "Chinaman" as well.
                              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• "Jackanape"
                                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                                X