No announcement yet.

It's High Time I Developed a Scotch Habit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug's suggestions are good - especially waiting a bit with the Isle of Islays - they certainly has their own "charm"

Another good starter could be Dalwhinnie.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I agree, if you're ever going to be a whisky snob, you need to get rid of the ice. Even I know that much. I think it also helps to spell it 'whisky,' that's the foreign spelling.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd View Post
        As for the Scotch, dump it. Rumplemintz is my current drink of choice, that, and chilled vodka. Can't beat it
        As if I needed another reason to hate you!
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I wonder if Floyd says Rumplemintz with a lisp...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
            I don't know why you would label them stupid. It's just the older way of naming. Read a few older English novels and it's all Scotch, not Scots. Educate yourself.
            No, Educate YOURself! Yes, it was a historical way of saying it, but it is now annoying / mildly offensive. Lots of historical American novels use the N word to describe people with dark skin, should I assume that because it's common in historical literature I should use it freely now? Scotch is not as offensive as that, but it illustrates the stupidity of assuming a phrase in an old book is still used and accepted in the same way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_(adjective)

"Scotch" if applied to people is widely considered mildly pejorative. However, 'Scotch' is still in occasional use in England and Ireland, and common use in North America.
            I'm married to a Scottish woman and I see her (her family, everyone else in Scotland) get annoyed every time someone uses 'Scotch' incorrectly. eg. "I'm not a whiskey!"
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

My grandparents and father (who are all from Scotland) really got pissy when someone called them Scotch instead of Scottish.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                Doesn't drinking scotch strike anybody as a bit bourgeois for a commie?
                But he used a plastic cup
                I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                  My grandparents and father (who are all from Scotland) really got pissy when someone called them Scotch instead of Scottish.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                    I'm married to a Scottish woman and I see her (her family, everyone else in Scotland) get annoyed every time someone uses 'Scotch' incorrectly. eg. "I'm not a whiskey!"
                    Great way of winding 'em up though.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                      I had too much Scotch and beer today at the BBQ and ended up falling asleep in the middle of the party. Apparently I snored way to loud for everyone.
                      dude, your snoring could be heard from orbit.
                      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Cheap scotch is only goo when added to crap beer.
                        You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus View Post
                          Great way of winding 'em up though.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
                            dude, your snoring could be heard from orbit.
                            I agree.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Nuke Oerdin from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

I love A.J.P. Taylor's quote from that Wiki article...

Some inhabitants of Scotland now call themselves Scots and their affairs Scottish. They are entitled to do so. The English word for both is Scotch, just as we call les français the French and Deutschland Germany. Being English, I use it.
                                Yes, he's in my bookcase.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X