Gay workers to get family leave (AP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay workers to get family leave (AP)

I can't believe that MrFun hasn't knocked people down on his way to a PC to post this news.

It's the proper decision.

The Labor Department is ready to tell employers they must give gay workers the same opportunity as heterosexual ones to take unpaid time off to care for their partners' newborns or loved ones.

Two officials briefed on the policy changes said Monday that Labor Secretary Hilda Solis would announce the decision on Wednesday. The officials would only speak on the condition of anonymity ahead of the announcement.

The Family and Medical Leave Act allows workers to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave each year to take care of loved ones or themselves. The 1993 law also allows employees to take time for adoption but previously only applied that to heterosexual couples.

The Labor Department planned to extend those rights based on a new interpretation of the law.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Ben Kenobi...
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

how do gay men get newborn babies?

I mean I don't see some of these things as discriminatory. I don't support the idea of paying for men to go to gynecologists. Am I missing anything?
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post

I mean I don't see some of these things as discriminatory. I don't support the idea of paying for men to go to gynecologists. Am I missing anything?
          Yes, it's not too uncommon now for gay men to get newborn babies via adoption or via host mothers.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Wow... adoption... surrogate mothers. Are you really this sheltered?
            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Oh. Really? I thought that was like 1/1000. Nevermind.
              xpost

Comment

Oh. Really? I thought that was like 1/1000. Nevermind.
                xpost
                It's definitely not common, but it's increasingly so.

Comment

It's the proper decision.
                  No, it isn't. Not because I don't think gays have rights (they do), and not because I oppose gay marriage (I don't). It's not the proper decision because the federal government has no Constitutional right to tell private employers what to do.
                  Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                  Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Actually that's a good point

States could though.

Comment

How do they confirm a 'partnership?'

Are they required to give unmarried people time off to date with each other?

Isn't this discrimination against single people?
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Yes, they probably could, under the 10th Amendment.

Also, doesn't anyone see anything wrong with unelected federal bureaucrats appointed to their position in the Executive Branch making what amount to unilateral decisions with no voter oversight, and limited legislative and judicial oversight?
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

How do they confirm a 'partnership?'

Are they required to give unmarried people time off to date with each other?

Isn't this discrimination against single people?
                          The obvious answer to this is that the fair way around this is to recognize gay marriage.

Comment

If it only affects federal employees then they're totally free to do it.

Frankly the courts may knock this policy down because the law doesn't strictly specify it.

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd View Post
                              The obvious answer to this is that the fair way around this is to recognize gay marriage.
                              If the law is interpreted that way, then the issue would be up to the states as the supreme court has repeatedly decided that no, the founding fathers did not anticipate gay marriage when they wrote the marriage recognition clause. States however are free to do so.

However it's worthwhile to point out that this particular power isn't something the states need, the problem is the federal government's ability to freely regulate things that clearly are not interstate commerce.

Comment

Working...
                              X