$1.2 Billion for bike paths...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
    That came up in the survey I mentioned earlier. They compared the cost of snow removal on the dedicated bike paths with the number of actual users and discovered it was an obscene amount.
    I could see that in places with heavy wet snow--

here in Calgary they typically just use a sidewalk sweeper type vehicle. One pass is more than sufficient so I cannot imagine the cost is too oppressive.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Buses are a fine way to travel.

Especially if you're a bacilli or virus.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Are you or anyone really trying to assert that car registration fees comes anywhere close to the cost of maintaining the road networks and all the car-traffic related costs. I doubt that but would love to be proven wrong
        Gas taxes on top of the rest of it do. They also subsidise public transit and bike routes.

Cyclists need to carry their own load, not ask the rest of us to pay for bike routes.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• the cost is prohibitive as cyclists give nothing back to society, as has been established by the lack of cycle tax
          Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

• Drivers complain when cyclists try and share the road with them. Drivers complain when cyclists get a path so they are out of the way. Drivers complain when there is much more traffic cause the cyclists are now driving cars.
            Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

• Drivers complain when there is much more traffic cause the cyclists are now driving cars.
              I'm happy when cyclists drive cars.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                Gas taxes on top of the rest of it do. They also subsidise public transit and bike routes.
                Cite??
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. Vancouver Sun offers information on latest national and international events & more.

Comment

Cyclists need to carry their own load, not ask the rest of us to pay for bike routes.
                    "Cycle routes" in calgary also serve as walking trails and are enjoyed by runners, walkers and rollerbladers. I guess they need to get registered too !!

Seriously though- if the model is user pays then

1. Transit should be a lot higher cost
                    2. We need to somehow tax all those walking folks-- Sidewalks are a similar width and bear similar loads to bike trails and there are a LOT more of them so the cost must be outrageous
                    3. You should divorce any highway payment model from a "gas tax" which could penalize a rural farmer (or other industrial users) for high gasoline usage
                    even though their roads used are rudimentary

Personally I see a transportation system as a common thing and don't really have a lot of issue with general tax revenues being used for it. On that model I pay far far more than my share when compared to government resources I personally would consume

Oh and bike trails don't have to be that fancy-- their cost per km woulod be a very small fraction of a road considering their width and the laod they must bear

Comment

• Seriously though- if the model is user pays then

1. Transit should be a lot higher cost
                      We're in agreeement. Cool.

2. We need to somehow tax all those walking folks-- Sidewalks are a similar width and bear similar loads to bike trails and there are a LOT more of them so the cost must be outrageous
                      Charge tolls.

3. You should divorce any highway payment model from a "gas tax" which could penalize a rural farmer (or other industrial users) for high gasoline usage
                      even though their roads used are rudimentary
                      Wow, we are in agreement here.

Personally I see a transportation system as a common thing and don't really have a lot of issue with general tax revenues being used for it. On that model I pay far far more than my share when compared to government resources I personally would consume
                      As do I. However, I don't want to pay for cycle routes on top of the taxes I already pay. We are massively taxed here in PG wrt property taxes and the rest. Pay your own damn way for a change.

Oh and bike trails don't have to be that fancy-- their cost per km woulod be a very small fraction of a road considering their width and the laod they must bear
                      Don't care. I'm already paying a 'carbon tax'. Fund the trails yourself.

Comment

• I biked in snow, cold (<-20, although we didn't have many of those). There is theft, but less than I would expect in the US.

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Garth Vader View Post
                          Drivers complain when cyclists try and share the road with them. Drivers complain when cyclists get a path so they are out of the way. Drivers complain when there is much more traffic cause the cyclists are now driving cars.
                          You've just given a fine summary of the whole thread.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

As do I. However, I don't want to pay for cycle routes on top of the taxes I already pay. We are massively taxed here in PG wrt property taxes and the rest. Pay your own damn way for a change.
                            Pretend your taxes go for the roads, and the taxes cyclists pay go to their trails. They probably don't want to pay for your roads anymore than you want to pay for trails.
                            Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

• You mean cyclists pay taxes too? I was sure they were just a bunch of free loading hippies
                              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

• Pretend your taxes go for the roads, and the taxes cyclists pay go to their trails. They probably don't want to pay for your roads anymore than you want to pay for trails.
                                So cyclists don't use roads themselves?

They pay for roads if they own a car and use gas. Same as everyone else.

I already pay a 'carbon tax' on the gas I buy. The cyclists can use that money to fund their trails. Deal?

Comment

Working...
                                X