$1.2 Billion for bike paths...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
    When it's a 2 lane road and bicyclists are taking up the lane, it's ****ing rude on THEIR part.
    If you have to turn left, cross the intersection, get out of traffic, then walk or ride across the road. I'm talking about streets that haven't been upgraded to bicycle friendly standards.
    Current laws are in place.
    Hey Sloww, I'm a cyclist.

You should really read what you're writing, because you clearly don't have a clue how insulting what you have said is. The majority of cyclists are only 'rude' out of self preservation from the idiots on the road who have no respect for them or actively hate them like you appear to do.

I have as much right to the road as you do, I try my best not to impede the flow of traffic if I'm forced to use a busy road because there's no bike lanes, but I'm not going to risk my life to do it! If there's c*nty drivers on the street (and believe me, there's plenty of c*nty drivers!) who will cut me up and have me in fear of my life, then when it is necessary I will hog the lane. Since I stopped trying to be nice to drivers all the time, I feel much safer on the roads.
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...itiatives.html

I'm all for encouraging Americans to not be lazy but $1.2 billion last year? What are they even spending this money on?

That's a spend of <$4 per person in the US, how pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
        I have 5km to work, I mostly bike it and sometimes jog it. Uppsala has tons of bikes, and bike lanes.

Even at the worst times/places, this city of ~180k has almost no congestion. Girls (and guys) are slimmer and fitter and better looking. Getting to the store to shop is easy and friendly. It is nice to get fresh air every day.

I love it.

JM
        Indeed. Sounds like a Utopia.

Isn't it amazing how civilised those nice Northern Europeans are...

Careful, you'll not want to leave.

Comment

BTW Flubber and DanS

Comment

Uppsala

Borlänge
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post

I have as much right to the road as you do,
              I don't know what it is like in your country but here bicyclists are not required to be registered, carry insurance or have a driving licence.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

it's exactly the same in the UK.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Registration helps pay for the roads.

Insurance means I wouldn't have to pay when a biker crashes into my car.

Diving licence would cut down on the number of cyclists that believe riding opposite to traffic flow is the best approach.

When these three conditions are met I will be much more open to Moby's statement.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                    I don't know what it is like in your country but here bicyclists are not required to be registered, carry insurance or have a driving licence.

All true but it does not change the fact that legally when I am on my bicycle I have as much right toi the road as the automobile does.

But there is a saying as a cyclist that you don't want to be right but be "dead right" so as DanS says, safety is king. I avoid certain roads that are faster flowing or have narrower lanes. Cyclist only travel these if they are forced. Personally both my commute and my leisure riding are dictated a lot by the the idea of finding the safest route and I ride through a couple of back alleys to avoid traffic. Like I said before though, 'rush" hour isn't bad in the core. The lights are so frequent that the pace of a bike or a car, to the place where I can get a bike path, are fairly similar
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                      All true but it does not change the fact that legally when I am on my bicycle I have as much right toi the road as the automobile does.
                      Yeah yeah.

But there is a saying as a cyclist that you don't want to be right but be "dead right" so as DanS says, safety is king. I avoid certain roads that are faster flowing or have narrower lanes. Cyclist only travel these if they are forced. Personally both my commute and my leisure riding are dictated a lot by the the idea of finding the safest route and I ride through a couple of back alleys to avoid traffic. Like I said before though, 'rush" hour isn't bad in the core. The lights are so frequent that the pace of a bike or a car, to the place where I can get a bike path, are fairly similar
                      I have no problem with responsible cyclists I just don't think there are enough checks in place to ensure that is what we are getting. Remember, I have to deal with Toronto.

Something not mentioned yet - Bike infrastructure in northern climes is a seasonal investment.

Comment

Registration helps pay for the roads.

But mainly taxes do. Lets not go down that road of who pays for things that do or do not use.

Insurance means I wouldn't have to pay when a biker crashes into my car.

No -- not being at fault does. You know that so don't be disingenuous. Ogh and if my bike alone hits your car, the damage would be less than a rock chip-- (my tire will hit first you see)-- Only if I get flipped onto your car could there be any real damage

Diving licence would cut down on the number of cyclists that believe riding opposite to traffic flow is the best approach.

I would not object to there being a road cycling licence in principle but implementatioon would be crazy. Can my 7 year old have one? He rides the residential streets with me after all and I doubt any government wants to deny children bicycles
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Frankly I'd be up for registration, I'm sure it would help with the huge amount of bike theft in this country, not to mention a form of identifying the minority of cyclists that give the rest of us a bad name.

The other two might be a bit too bureaucratic as such, though obviously if a cyclist damages your car he should be expected to pay for it (assuming A: he/she is at fault; and B: he/she is still alive!). AFAIK kids at school here do a cycling proficiency day and are awarded a certificate at the end.

Comment

Yeah yeah.

Something not mentioned yet - Bike infrastructure in northern climes is a seasonal investment.
                            Nope-- Look at any bike rack in Calgary in Jan or Feb. ONly on the coldest or most blizzardy days do cycle commuters abandon their ride. My threshold weas around minus 20 but many go colder.

The main bike path north of the river is snowcleared and a lot of the diehards switch to studded snow tires on their bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                              But mainly taxes do. Lets not go down that road of who pays for things that do or do not use.
                              I can only go by the claimed reason for the fee. It's how the government justifies it.

No -- not being at fault does. You know that so don't be disingenuous. Ogh and if my bike alone hits your car, the damage would be less than a rock chip-- (my tire will hit first you see)-- Only if I get flipped onto your car could there be any real damage

a) In the province of Ontario the car owners policy pays for bike/car collisions.

b) If you are claiming a bike traveling at 20km/h+ is only going to cause less than a rock chip (like that's okay ) then you are the one being disingenuous.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                                AFAIK kids at school here do a cycling proficiency day and are awarded a certificate at the end.
                                I taught my own boy the rules and he is gettin a week at a bike safety camp as a refreshed.

So Mob, Dan-- what types of bikes do you ride??

Comment

Working...
                                X