No announcement yet.

$1.2 Billion for bike paths...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, some places in Chicago are like that but in others, they have lanes seperated with median strips.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Toronto's problem is that they are removing car lanes to add bike lanes.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
        The majority of cyclists are only 'rude' out of self preservation from the idiots on the road who have no respect for them or actively hate them like you appear to do.
        I also actively hate rude bicyclists as well as the idiotic bicyclists.

If there's c*nty drivers on the street (and believe me, there's plenty of c*nty drivers!)

And them much more

I have as much right to the road as you do, I try my best not to impede the flow of traffic if I'm forced to use a busy road because there's no bike lanes, but I'm not going to risk my life to do it!

Originally posted by Flubber View Post
        All true but it does not change the fact that legally when I am on my bicycle I have as much right toi the road as the automobile does.
        Same speed = same right (imo). Too bad around here cyclists tend to be slower than the speed of traffic significantly (outside of morning and afternoon rush hours). Lowest speed limits here are in the towns and cities 25mph/40km, and typically 35-45mph/55-70k in the rest of the surburban sprawl.

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
        You seem to think that cyclists are on a deathwish, intent on hurling themselves at your car and deliberately damaging it with their fragile skulls and expensive bikes!
        Given the number of idiot drivers around here, anyone insisting on "sharing" the road with them would have to be borderline suicidal.

There are a lot of off the road bike paths here, as far as I can tell, and I've seen some new bike lanes recently so there's not so many bike riders for me to rage at.

Bike paths
        Bike lanes
        "Sharing" the road: :wiglaf*10:
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
          I don't drive either.

How about walk? Maybe I don't walk and don't want to pay for sidewalks and those pedestrian lights
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Wezil

I don't see you insurance issue. If you get hit by an insured or uninsured driver it seems like you pay for your own damages anyway -- same as if the uninsured cyclist hits you. Wheres the advantage to you in having the other guy insured??

Damage? I was aknowledging that a cyclist can cause some damage to a car (our blood stains on your paint job can be a real problem). In the most common scenarios if we hit you front or back there will be no damage-- our tire hits your bumper-- Its only higher speeds when we and our bike end up on your car OR situations where we hit the side of your car where the damage could be noticeable to substantial
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
              Well they actually studied it in TO (they love to encourage bikes) and found that just wasn't the case. Yes, a few fanatics would ride year round, but most wouldn't.
              I just get the sense there are more cyclists in Calgary but in many senses it is a "build it and they will come" type thing. If the only routes are busy and dangerous, many people will never jump on a bike. The rivers within Calgary create a couple of natural routes for bike paths that serve some commuters pretty well-- If they had a path or two that bisected the core things would be even better

Oh and Wezil -- of course fewer people cycle in inclement weather-- Fewer people drive too (many opt to take a bus when the snow is coming down hard and some find a way to "work from home")-- But when I ride in January and Feb there are still LOTS of people riding-- The fact that Calgary doesn't get a LOT of snow is probably a factor (When I lived in Newfoundland the quantity of snow would have completely precluded cycling in ways that just doesn't happen here in Calgary)
              Last edited by Flubber; June 17, 2010, 11:32.

Comment

• Court told how grievance between drivers of two vehicles led to death of bank worker Graham Thwaites in Kent

2 cars were racing and jostling each other, the first car hit a cyclist and killed him. both drivers, and the 3 passengers have been convicted of manslaughter. I could start another thread on this though, as it confuses me how the passengers are guilty

I cycle to work. it takes <10 minutes. however on the ride home I only slow traffic if a hesitant driver is trying to overtake me.

I have one of 3 choices. cycle through the park, incurring the wrath of pedestrians and violating local bye laws. I could cycle on an exceptionally thin pavement, or I can cycle on the road slowing traffic as cars cannot pass easily due to speed bumps. when I have the energy I choose the 4th option and cycle by a much less direct route
                Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                  Wezil

I don't see you insurance issue. If you get hit by an insured or uninsured driver it seems like you pay for your own damages anyway -- same as if the uninsured cyclist hits you. Wheres the advantage to you in having the other guy insured??
                  It's byproduct rage of the no fault system. I should be allowed to sue the bastards rather than have to make a claim and pay a deductible. The fact they have no insurance to deal with makes it doubly offensive.

Damage? I was aknowledging that a cyclist can cause some damage to a car (our blood stains on your paint job can be a real problem). In the most common scenarios if we hit you front or back there will be no damage-- our tire hits your bumper-- Its only higher speeds when we and our bike end up on your car OR situations where we hit the side of your car where the damage could be noticeable to substantial
                  You either underestimate the amount of potential damage or are far more tolerant to damage done to your property than I.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                    The fact that Calgary doesn't get a LOT of snow is probably a factor (When I lived in Newfoundland the quantity of snow would have completely precluded cycling in ways that just doesn't happen here in Calgary)
                    That came up in the survey I mentioned earlier. They compared the cost of snow removal on the dedicated bike paths with the number of actual users and discovered it was an obscene amount.

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                      I just have a crappy Raleigh 21 speed Mountain Bike that's in need of a bit of TLC, which I mainly only use for cycling to work, around town or sometimes a bit further afield for off road stuff. Bike theft is a scourge here in the UK and I don't cycle enough to have a really good one. I do have a top of the range bike lock though...
                      Theft is an issue here too and I missed out on the renewal date to get into the bike cage in our building (limited space and I was out of town) so I am left locking up outside. Thankfully (and perhaps ironically) the rack I use is right next to where all the smokers from our building go so its unlikley someone will be able to do too much to a locked bike before someone notices. I do take the extra precaution of having a cable to keep my front wheel on-- My only fear is that somone may steal my seat since its 2 seconds to remove it -- but its relatively inexpensive so I can't be assed to bother taking it myself

Comment

• Smokers.

Comment

• Found it interesting that it's faster to run from my local bus-stop to downtown than it is to take the bus that goes straight there.
                          Used to do this in Vancouver if I had to go 5k or less. Good way to exercise.

That being said, I love having a car. Busses are terrible. They are one of the least efficient ways to get people from point a to point b.

As for bike lanes, I don't ask you to pay for my gas, don't ask me to pay for your bike lanes. Deal?
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Uh-oh, Touchdown Jesus sighting!

Straight in with an anti bus troll!
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• How fast can your average 80 year old woman run 5k? Oh of course, there are only young fit people in the world.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

• I've ridden enough of them.

Busses, they don't go where you want to go, and they don't leave when you want to leave. So you wait at the bus stop to get a lift to whereever you are going, so you can get out at the 'stop', walk to your destination.

Then when you are finished, you can go back walk to the stop, wait for the bus, get on the bus, ride it to the other stop, get out and walk it back to home.

Car, hop in, drive to your destination. Get back in and drive back. Busses are far more inefficient. If you get whipsawed both ways, you'll spend at least an hour waiting. For a short errand, what's the point? You'll put it off and pile up all your errands so you are spending the day getting **** done.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X