No announcement yet.

Is cursive script an anachronism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When handwritten essays were introduced on the SAT exams for the class of 2006, just 15 percent of the almost 1.5 million students wrote their answers in cursive. The rest? They printed. Block letters.
    The computer keyboard helped kill shorthand, and now it's threatening to finish off longhand.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

When you say cursive, I have a feeling you don't mean cursive as in cursive?
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Hva?
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

"Kursiv" in Norwegian is those slightly leaning letters you get when you use the [i ] tag.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Cursive in English:

Comment

Ah! That we still learn. I always write cursive. I have to focus to write each letter separate if I am required to do that. And I almost always end up joining some letters anyhow. It's much easier, and MUCH faster, to write in cursive. How to write cursive has changed over the years though. My mum learned to write it somewhat different than me, more elegant in some ways. I learned it pretty much as in your pics. My siblings learned a kind of cursive which is more alike printed letters.

Comment

oh and in English, we refer to this as italics

Comment

Heh, that would explain the [ i ].

Comment

Nikolai:

Yeah, the style has changed over the years. In the US, the type that most people my age learned was a type that has only been around since 1975 (it is represented by those images).

Comment

class of 2006
                      As I said, it's a generation gap. I'm class of 1999.

I learned it pretty much as in your pics
                      Same here, except my P's go down to the bottom line, and there's no back on the T. And none of the frilly circles either.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                      X