No announcement yet.

Is cursive script an anachronism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never took notes in cursive either in high school or college. I fail to see how cursive is any faster than print. Yeah you pick your pen/pencil up when you write print but I doubt that wasted time is greater than the wasted time on unnecessary little doodles on the ends of letters in cursive.

Matter fact, I compared writing and signing my name and I'm faster printing it (to say nothing of print being far more legible). If you actually write with some intensity (sounds funny), I am positive you can learn to haul ass while printing.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

You've conceded your experience with cursive is limited then argue because you can print faster than you write that this proves your point?

By that reasoning I can say typing is an incredibly slow method.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Wezil:

But I sign my signature all the time. It's the one thing that I can do in cursive. I've actually signed my name far more than I've printed it since I've been out of school.

So I think a comparison between signing and printing my name is a legitimate comparison.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Wow, a whole name? How often? Once or twice a day maybe?

I type all the time but I can still write (or print) faster. This doesn't mean typing is the slower communication method, it just means I have more experience and skill with writing.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

How often do I print my name, Wezil? Once or twice a year?

How often do I write on paper? I haven't written on paper since March. I know this for a fact because I don't have a pen or pencil in my house (I put things in the Notes function on my cellphone)

Oh wait excuse me I did write a paragraph statement the first week in May on paper. But that's it.

Comment

So you have little experience with either but you happen to be able to print faster than you can write.

Not a very convincing argument.

My job requires that I take notes simultaneous with testimony. I use a combination print/cursive/shorthand as this is the fastest for me. I am sure others could type faster than my scrawl (I can't) if they had proper training and if electronic devices were allowed.

Comment

Edit: all the cursive methods look the same to me. they only differ in the letter Q.

Comment

I can haul ass when I print though. I already know this from college though I'm a bit out of practice since I've been out for so long.

Before March, I would have to print very quickly and take down verbal instructions (Frag orders to be exact and put them into a 5-paragraph order format). I could keep up with the fast diction of an order.

Comment

How retarded can you be? This is like asking, is it outdated to make your own food.
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

It's not? Who cooks now a days?

Comment

If Asher doesn't do it, it's outdated.

Cursive... print... cooking... having sex with women...

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
                          It's not? Who cooks now a days?
                          Dysfunctional people don't.
                          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Wow, I feel old.

This is why there is a great divide between folks my age, and those a bit younger.

I didn't learn to touch-type until I was 14.

I used to have terrible penmanship, but mine has gotten better over the years.

Cursive just looks far, far better then printing.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I'm old too.. having a mid-mid-life crisis over here.

Comment

I use pen and paper everyday (necessary part of interviews, meetings, etc). Although I do get annoyed when my pen won't perform the macro I want it to.
                                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X