Why it pays to work for Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why it pays to work for Obama

It is said that government workers now make, on average, 30% more than private sector workers. Put that fantasy aside. It far underestimates the real figures. By my calculations, government workers make more than twice as much. Government workers are America's fastest-growing millionaires.

Doubt it? Then ask yourself: What is the net present value of an $80,000 annual pension payout with additional full health benefits? Working backward, the total NPV would depend on expected returns of a basket of safe investments--blue chip stocks, dividends and U.S. Treasury bonds.

Investment pros like my friend Barry Glassman say 4% is a reasonable return today. That's a pitiful yield, isn't it? It is sure to disappoint the scores of millions of baby boomers who will soon enter retirement with nothing more than their desiccated 401(k)s, down 30% on average from 30 months ago, and a bit of Social Security.

Based on this small but unfortunately realistic 4% return, an $80,000 annual pension payout implies a rather large pot of money behind it--$2 million, to be precise.

That's a lot. One might guess that a $2 million stash would be in the 95th percentile for the 77 million baby boomers who will soon face retirement.

That $2 million also happens to be the implied booty of your average California policeman who retires at age 55. Typical cities in California have a police officer's retirement plan that works as follows: 3% at 50. As the North County Times of Carlsbad, Calif., explains:

Carlsbad offers its police and firefighters a "3-percent-at-50" retirement plan, meaning that emergency services workers who retire at age 50 can get 3 percent of their highest salary times the number of years they have worked for the city.

City officials have said that in Carlsbad, the average firefighter or police officer typically retires at age 55 and has 28 years of service. Using the 3 percent salary calculation, that person would receive an annual city pension of $76,440.

That does not include health benefits, which might push real retirement compensation close to $100,000 a year.

Who are America's fastest-growing class of millionaires? They are police officers, firefighters, teachers and federal bureaucrats who, unless things change drastically, will be paid something near their full salaries every year--until death--after retiring in their mid-50s. That is equivalent to a retirement sum worth millions of dollars.

If you further ask the question: How much salary would it take to live, save a build a $2 million stash over a 30-year career, the answer would be: somewhere close to $75,000 more than the nominal salary, if you include all the tax bites associated with earning, saving and investing money.

In other words, if a police officer, firefighter, teacher or federal bureaucrat is making $75,000 a year, she is effectively making twice that amount. Implied in her annual pension payout is that she diligently saved half of her annual salary--after taxes--in order to save, invest and build--again, after taxes--the $2 million pot.

So when you hear that government workers now make, on average, 30% more than private sector workers, you are not getting the full story. Government workers make more than twice as much as private sector workers, on average, when you include the net present value of their pensions.

How long can this last? Post your thoughts below.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Government employees are more educated on average. Please show some evidence that an individual with the same level of qualifications will earn more in the government.

Also, I doubt this was any different before Obama was elected.

Comment

I find it fascinating Ben is implying that it was only in the past couple years that government workers got massive raises.

A whole lot of intellectual honesty going on in this thread, just as we would expect from someone who supports child predators and excommunicating people for saving lives.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Gov guys shouldn't get any money, what else is corruption and bribery for?
        Blah

Comment

So it's Bush's fault, Gribbler?

What is this, his third term?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Dayum son, you is dumb.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

All I said is that they are working for the Man. Right now the Man is the Bamster.

Just because you have comprehension issues and see things that aren't there, doesn't make this my fault.

Anyways, you have anything to say about the topic?

Comment

BK

1. I doubt this is an Obama phenomenon. First most federal employee programs have likley been much as they are since before Clinton. Second-- since when do the feds pay a policeman in Carlsbad-- isn't this a function of municipal/county or state government.

2. This issue is out there just as much in Canada. Moneysense did an article on the very same issue and I have seen Globe articles and columns decrying this largess even as we run deficets.

3. The usual argument for the private sector is that the private sector pays more. I know that as compared to a friend of mine in the federal justice department, I am paid far more with equivalent holidays etc etc. But she does have that pension. Between it all I probably break even with her although I am better off now. However a federal service janitor likely does VERY WELL. Thats usually where I see the disconnect. It seems that many lower skilled jobs get paid extremely well compared to their private sector counterparts and then get generous pensions as well
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Oh and most pensions I have seen cap out at some point like at 70% of your "best 5 years" or something. I have teacher friends that said that after they had enough service, they wouldn't increase their pension at all except to the extent that it lifted their "best 5 years" calculation
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I love this. Mostly because I wondered where the opposite type of articles were in the late 90s, complaining that government employees are so underpaid because private sector employees were making so much more than them! That's part of the tradeoff with government work - you get security in exchange for getting paid less on average, which means in bad times you make more because of that security but in good times you get blown away by the private sector.

Secondly, this blogger doesn't realize the vast changes in federal pensions since the early 80s. Those who were in federal service before hand get nice pensions, those afterwards get about 30% of their high 3 years, if they've worked for over 30 years (something like that) and then their 401(k) accounts. It is nice, yes, but that kinda makes up for making 50 to 100% less than equivalent private sector attornies, etc.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                      All I said is that they are working for the Man. Right now the Man is the Bamster.

Just because you have comprehension issues and see things that aren't there, doesn't make this my fault.

Anyways, you have anything to say about the topic?
                      You wouldn't have posted "Why it pays to work for Bush" 3 years ago, given the same data.

You're not smart enough to pull off any kind of bull**** like this, Ben.

Comment

The usual argument for the private sector is that the private sector pays more.
                        When you take into account all the benefits the public sector pays twice as much than the private sector.

I know that as compared to a friend of mine in the federal justice department, I am paid far more with equivalent holidays etc etc. But she does have that pension. Between it all I probably break even with her although I am better off now. However a federal service janitor likely does VERY WELL. Thats usually where I see the disconnect. It seems that many lower skilled jobs get paid extremely well compared to their private sector counterparts and then get generous pensions as well
                        Probably the case as well. If you have talent you wouldn't be a public servant.

Comment

That's part of the tradeoff with government work - you get security in exchange for getting paid less on average, which means in bad times you make more because of that security but in good times you get blown away by the private sector.
                          None of those articles took into the factor of all the benefits as this one does. Working for the government you get security and better pay. There's no drawback.

This article is doing really well at smoking out all the big-government folks. Who's next? Oerdin? Che?

Comment

You wouldn't have posted "Why it pays to work for Bush" 3 years ago, given the same data.
                            Which is why I criticised him for his spending? Nice try.

Good job showing yourself to be a big-government dim supporter. Your skirt's showing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                              Which is why I criticised him for his spending? Nice try.

Good job showing yourself to be a big-government dim supporter. Your skirt's showing.
                              Where have I supported anything here, you disingenuous scum?

I preemptively accept your apology for once again misrepresenting my position. My position is that you are a ****ing moron of epic proportions, a life-long virgin, a social cripple, and an abject failure as a human being. I do think public servants tend to be paid far too much. I don't attribute this to Obama because, unlike you, I'm not functionally retarded.

Comment

Working...
                              X