No announcement yet.

UK Election Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That sounds like an interesting proposal.

Though of course a more cynical person could suggest that you only want PR in cities because they are generally a lock for leftist parties anyhow and PR in cities only would boost the number of representatives for conservative parties.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Except for the fact that the people you are arguing currently (Ozzy and MikeH) with aren't arguing for PR. They are arguing for an assurance of the representative gaining 50% of the vote, through IRV or other STV.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Which is a good way of putting it. The current system allows a candidate to win a constituency with only like 30% of the vote. How close of a relationship does that person really have with his district if 70% of the people reject them? IRV ensures 50% and is far superior over what they have now (or what we have now).

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
          Except for the fact that the people you are arguing currently (Ozzy and MikeH) with aren't arguing for PR. They are arguing for an assurance of the representative gaining 50% of the vote, through IRV or other STV.
          BEN IN LACK OF READING COMPREHENSION SHOCKER!?! Who could have predicted it??
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

• Though of course a more cynical person could suggest that you only want PR in cities because they are generally a lock for leftist parties anyhow and PR in cities only would boost the number of representatives for conservative parties.
            I'm for PR in cities because it simply makes more sense there, and it gives more natural city-wide representation. Instead of 17 Vancouver - Starbucks ridings you have just one, Vancouver. Same with Surrey and Victoria.
            Last edited by Ben Kenobi; May 7, 2010, 14:47.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Except for the fact that the people you are arguing currently (Ozzy and MikeH) with aren't arguing for PR. They are arguing for an assurance of the representative gaining 50% of the vote, through IRV or other STV.
              The PR criticisms I've put forth apply to both IRV and STV, with the additional caveat that if we start looking at second choices, Labour and Lib Dem will dominate because there isn't a popular second choice for Conservatives.

If Labour and Lib Dem were more likely to list Conservative over each other I'd be less suspicious when Lib Dem supporters are such fervently in favour of electoral 'reform' to benefit them at the expense of everyone else and particularly directed at the Tories. Elections should be about picking the best candidate, not the least hated.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Seats won-

Tory - 306
                Labour - 258
                Lib Dem - 57

If we had proportional representation-

Tory - 234
                Labour - 188
                Lib Dem - 149
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  The PR criticisms I've put forth apply to both IRV and STV, with the additional caveat that if we start looking at second choices, Labour and Lib Dem will dominate because there isn't a popular second choice for Conservatives.

If Labour and Lib Dem were more likely to list Conservative over each other I'd be less suspicious when Lib Dem supporters are such fervently in favour of electoral 'reform' to benefit them at the expense of everyone else and particularly directed at the Tories. Elections should be about picking the best candidate, not the least hated.
                  I think a number of Lib Dem voters would put Tories second. I think also such a system would entice the Liberals to move more to the right to become the second place option for Tory voters in Labour strongholds.

Comment

• Doubtful. I think Lib Dem will just do what Woodrow Wilson II is doing, full speed ahead on the progressive agenda and damn the opposition.

This is the money quote:

A budget is for one year. PR is until it can get repealed

Comment

So basically you are arguing for whichever electoral system has a better chance of electing the Tories over what is best for democracy (majority vote should always be stressed over plurality)
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• If you had a run-off, I'd be fine with that.

Comment

• 306 for Tories, 8 for Ulster Unionists, that should be enough for Cameron to take over if Sinn Fein do not take their seats, that is a majority.

Comment

• He'll be still short. He needs 322 if SF do not take their seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                              Seats won-

Tory - 306
                              Labour - 258
                              Lib Dem - 57

If we had proportional representation-

Tory - 234
                              Labour - 188
                              Lib Dem - 149
                              are there figures for the all the parties under PR?
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

If you had a run-off, I'd be fine with that.
                                Well that's what instant run-off is. They just do it faster.

Comment

Working...
                                X