Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US continues to export freedom: Pressures Canada in piracy (We're #1!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The United States encourages Canada to provide its border officials with the authority to seize suspected infringing materials without the need for a court order.

Personally, I do hope that Canada Customs starts seizing computers with illegal materials on them.
    Please put Asher on your ignore list.
    Please do not quote Asher.
    He will go away if we ignore him.

Comment

• You also hope that the RCMP probes your anus each time you cross a provincial border
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Canada is a nation of laws, and we should enforce them. There’s nothing wrong with preventing criminal activity/behavior, and it’s furthermore the duty of any sworn federal/provincial official to act if they suspect a crime is being committed.

Comment

• That reminds me of the time I suspected a black dude was jaywalking in Toronto. I tried to perform a citizen's arrest, and I was nearly hospitalized
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• I really don't see a problem with busting people who steal. I mean... if someone is stupid enough to carry stolen stuff across a border...

Should we really be concerned with protecting them?

Ultimately, however, this law doesn't really concern people with a couple movies.
            Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

• How do you know it's stolen?

Let's say I own The Office on DVD AND on Bluray. Let's say I rip the DVD and have it on my laptop to save on space.

I bring it across the border. I should get arrested? By the letter of the law I am a criminal for doing so. Smuggling pirated materials, too.

Comment

• Noone cares why you steal.

I'm sure everyone has a great excuse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  How do you know it's stolen?

Let's say I own The Office on DVD AND on Bluray. Let's say I rip the DVD and have it on my laptop to save on space.

I bring it across the border. I should get arrested? By the letter of the law I am a criminal for doing so. Smuggling pirated materials, too.

If the Customs Officer has cause to believe that the item is stolen, then yes he has the right to detain you, and engage in further investigation. If the materials are found to be stolen, then the full force of the Canadian Legal System should be brought to bear on the offender.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ecofarm View Post
                    Noone cares why you steal.

I'm sure everyone has a great excuse.
                    How is it stealing if I've already purchased the movie twice over?

Comment

• Originally posted by bc1871 View Post
                      If the Customs Officer has cause to believe that the item is stolen, then yes he has the right to detain you, and engage in further investigation. If the materials are found to be stolen, then the full force of the Canadian Legal System should be brought to bear on the offender.
                      So you would like to see a person arrested for having a ripped copy a movie he's purchased twice on his laptop.

Comment

• Ripping the movie is stealing.

I don't care what your excuse is; at least have the common sense to not take it across the border - jeez!

Who are we trying to protect here?? The dumbest of thieves?

There's alot of people, alot of groups even, that need protecting and help; however, people so stupid as to cross the border with pirated stuff knowlingly is not one of them. Fk 'em.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ecofarm View Post
                          Ripping the movie is stealing.
                          How so?

Walk me through the logic here.

You buy the bits which represent audio + video which constitute the movie. Where they're stored shouldn't matter. They're in your sole position, you've purchased it, you should own it.

The US' DMCA is deeply flawed, and I'm glad we don't have one (yet) in Canada.

Comment

• Being a member of the Canadian Customs Service, or any other law enforcement agency in Canada is not a cakewalk. Every day on patrol, there is the chance that you will be seriously wounded or killed, and that unfortunately your last patrol will be when you are carried by eight of your closest friends.

Law enforcement officers are faced with hundreds of judgment calls each day, and they must to the best of their ability/training/experience make a decision that could affect the lives of one or hundreds of citizens.

Now if they suspect that a crime is being committed, it is their sworn duty to investigate, and if necessary detain any and all individuals involved in the suspected offense. Every crime, whether it be something as heinous as murder, all the way to an incident as lowly as shoplifting, must be treated as a serious infringement upon our society.

Comment

• Originally posted by bc1871 View Post
                              Being a member of the Canadian Customs Service, or any other law enforcement agency in Canada is not a cakewalk. Every day on patrol, there is the chance that you will be seriously wounded or killed, and that unfortunately your last patrol will be when you are carried by eight of your closest friends.
                              When was the last time a Canadian customs officer was killed in the line of duty?

You have a serious mental disorder pertaining to fellating authority figures. Get that checked out, bro.

Comment

• Purchasing something does not give you the right to remove all copyright protection.

Comment

Working...
                                X