13-year-olds climbing Everest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Japher View Post
    Being "aware" of the consequences and "understanding" the consequences are two different things...

Well of course that is where the argument is going. One step at a time.

This is why Ozzy faces such criticism on his agenda. He starts with a very reasonable position in that children deserve to be treated with respect and dignity, and takes it to a ridiculous extreme in that children should have the same rights (though apparently not responsibilities) as adults.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

So anybody believes this whole thing is not about satisfying the ego of the father ?
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Toddlers in Tiaras is the epitome of why children don't make decisions, and why we have to police parents who attempt to convince children of the "right" decision to be made.

So anybody believes this whole thing is not about satisfying the ego of the father ?
        Not so much that, but what is influincing the kids decision and is that good influence or bad? Parents of the Toddlers in Tiaras say "their kids choose to do it" but the kids only "choose" to do it because they want their parents approval.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
          Well of course that is where the argument is going. One step at a time.

This is why Ozzy faces such criticism on his agenda. He starts with a very reasonable position in that children deserve to be treated with respect and dignity, and takes it to a ridiculous extreme in that children should have the same rights (though apparently not responsibilities) as adults.

Where have I said that?
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post

Sure looks like it. The family are plunging their life savings into it, and the cynic in me suggests there's a lucrative book deal in it if they succeed.

That just adds to the risk factor, of course. See Donald Crowhurst for a case in point.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Well geez Ozzy, you will have to be more specific with your complaint. I put a lot of words in your mouth, what ones are you having trouble with?
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post

Where have I said that?
                You've specifically dodged my question about that before, just like you are doing now.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I'm guessing it was the "responsibilities" part he had the most trouble with.

I'm not positive but I doubt he advocates court for 7 year old shoplifters (or possibly even jail for the repeat offenders ).

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                    If these imbeciles succeed, others will follow. And if children are climbing Everest, children will die on Everest- it's unavoidable, and anyone thinking it isn't doesn't know what they're talking about. And a dying child at 28,000 feet isn't just endangering its own life- it's putting others at risk too.
                    Yes, but it will all be rich children so the world will be a little less obnoxious.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Good point.

Comment

It is their kid, we ain't short of people on this planet. Let them climb.

Comment

You could take that same viewpoint on absolutely anything.

"It's my kid. If I want to pimp him, that's my business".
                          "It's my kid. If I want to lock him in a closet until he's 18, that's my business."

See how it doesn't work?
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                            No.
                            Yeah, I figured not. I guess it wouldn't be feasible to parasherpa either. Oh well. Nuts to these stupid parents.
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

If the whole group are sufficiently trained and skilled I have no objection. Modern life tends to try and eliminate all risks and I do not believe that is good for humanity. Progress is made when calculated risks are taken. I presume those who are against this are against Jessica who is solo sailing around the world at this time aged 16. Yet she has almost completed her trip without excessive drama, having only the southern coastline of Australia still to navigate. So young people are capable of achieving great things, let them do it.

Comment

Solo sailing around the world is, amazingly, much less dangerous than attempting to climb Everest.

Everest news website has counters for the number of summits and the number of deaths! So you can keep track. I guess no-one climbs it in winter for obvious reasons!

Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                                Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                                We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                                X