No announcement yet.

13-year-olds climbing Everest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea whether having a guide is necessary. Do you?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Considering the mortality rate, I'd say it's essential for anyone with a head on their shoulders. Especially for children.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Do you have any data showing that having a guide reduces the mortality rate for people with their mountaineering chops?
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It's certainly advisable. Read the last link I posted for more details.

You can climb with Climbing Sherpas, as "Team Jordan" is doing, but the success rate is far lower where inexperienced climbers are concerned. That's not terribly important, though- the big difference is that Climbing Sherpas are hired employees, not expedition leaders, and it's far harder for them to order a suicidally-determined client to turm back.
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I'll go a step further and say pretty much anyone trying to climb Mount Everest is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
              http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8615400.stm

Quick reminder- for every 5 climbers successfully summiting Everest, one climber dies.
              Is that the rate for first time climbers? Have you a source?

Incidentally, the current youngest summiter is Temba Tsheri, who summited at 16. Temba's first attempt was at 14, and he lost five fingers on that go.
              Except for the 15 year old Sherpa girl, Ming Kipa.

Next fun fact about this climb, folks. They won't be using a guide, despite never having attempted Everest before.
              That's rather retarded. At least there will be a paramedic nearby (unless they get separated):
              Then there is the fact that his father is a paramedic with a speciality in high-altitude physiology.
              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

A paramedic stabilizes. Then what?
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Doesn't need to stabilize if he recognizes a problem before it becomes serious and goes back down.

Comment

Whatever. A child isn't merely a small adult, no matter what Ozzy advocates.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                      13-year olds can be impulsive, but it is also possible for many of them to understand the consequences of their actions. I think we would have to talk with Jordan to know for sure.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        Whatever. A child isn't merely a small adult, no matter what Ozzy advocates.
                        Yes, they should just sit at home and post on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                          You haven't answered my question Ozzy (post #9).

I was aware of the potential consequences.
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Being "aware" of the consequences and "understanding" the consequences are two different things.

I tell my daughter that if she doesn't eat her veggies she can't have any desert and she's complete capable of understanding this. Yet, she still choses to forgo desert so as not to have to eat her veggies. Still, when desert comes and she gets none she regrets her previous decision. Of course she's 4, but it's not a very big decision.

My point; he may be aware that it's a life and death decisions, but he has no idea what he really sacrificing since he hasn't really lived yet. Or, maybe he does.

It's not like his parents are letting him do heroin, where the consequences are less obvious. however, the consequences here are more permanent.

I concur with Sloww.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ColdWizard View Post
                              Yes, they should just sit at home and post on the internet.
                              There's a vast span between sitting at home on the Internet day after day, and attempting to climb Everest.
                              It doesn't take much more than a child's mind to understand that fact.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                                There's a vast span between sitting at home on the Internet day after day, and attempting to climb Everest.
                                It doesn't take much more than a child's mind to understand that fact.
                                He's already climbed more mountains than me, how about you?

Comment

Working...
                                X