Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News for Ozzy

Mom and dad, stop stifling me – it's damaging my brain

Overprotective parents inhibit more than their kids' freedom: they may also slow brain growth in an area linked to mental illness.

Children whose parents are overprotective or neglectful are believed to be more susceptible to psychiatric disorders – which in turn are associated with defects in part of the prefrontal cortex.

To investigate the link, Kosuke Narita of Gunma University, Japan, scanned the brains of 50 people in their 20s and asked them to fill out a survey about their relationship with their parents during their first 16 years.

The researchers used a survey called the Parental Bonding Instrument (pdf), an internationally recognised way of measuring children's relationships with their parents. It asks participants to rate their parents on statements like "Did not want me to grow up", "tried to control everything I did" and "tried to make me feel dependent on her/him".
    Neglectful dads

Narita's team found that those with overprotective parents had less grey matter in a particular area of the prefrontal cortex than those who had had healthy relationships. Neglect from fathers, though not mothers, also correlated with less grey matter.

This part of the prefrontal cortex develops during childhood, and abnormalities there are common in people with schizophrenia and other mental illnesses.

Narita and his team propose that the excessive release of the stress hormone cortisol – due either to neglect, or to too much attention – and reduced production of dopamine as a result of poor parenting leads to stunted grey matter growth.

Anthony Harris, director of the Clinical Disorders Unit at Westmead Hospital in Sydney, Australia, says the study is important for highlighting to the wider community that parenting styles can have long-term effects on children.

Parents to blame?

But he adds that such brain differences are not always permanent. "Many individuals show great resilience," he says.

Stephen Wood, who studies adolescent development at the Melbourne Neuropsychiatry Centre in Australia, says the brain abnormalities cannot necessarily be blamed on children's relationship with their parents. He points out that the subjects studied may have been born with the abnormalities and as a result didn't bond well with their parents, rather than vice versa.

Wood also takes issue with the study team's decision to exclude individuals with low socioeconomic status and uneducated parents – two factors known to contribute to poor performance in cognitive tests. "The effect they found may be real, but why worry about parenting if there are other factors that are so much larger?" he says.

Journal Reference: Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, DOI: 10.1016/j.pnpbp.2010.02.025
    Overprotective parents don't just limit their children's freedom – they may also slow brain growth in an area linked to mental illness
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Children whose parents are overprotective or neglectful are believed to be more susceptible to psychiatric disorders...
    Hit the sweet spot & you're a good parent. Miss high or low and you will damage your child's brain.

Great, that tells me something new and helps me be a better parent.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Yup, don't screw up or you'll mess up your kids for life!
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

To be fair, it says that kids can bounce back from the harm their parents inflict upon them.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

That's just to make you feel better after your kids end up as middle management.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Don't have kids: problem solved!
            Order of the Fly
            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

It's not as easy for us as it is for you.
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

This article just reinforces my opinion that parents should have strict control over their children.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So in addition to not having fully developed brains until mid-20s, there's a good chance that those same kids will have physical and/or emotional trauma?

And this helps you how?
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

It means more money for Ozzy, duh.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                        So in addition to not having fully developed brains until mid-20s, there's a good chance that those same kids will have physical and/or emotional trauma?

And this helps you how?
                        Every single article (including in that other thread) that discusses teen brains and their apparent inferiority, uses that as a justification for restricting and controlling youth. This study shows that it is precisely that restriction that is causing their brains to be damaged in the first place.

So giving freedom to kids will cause their brains to develop faster and better. Which is basically the argument we've been making all along.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

"Did not want me to grow up", "tried to control everything I did" and "tried to make me feel dependent on her/him".

So, it asked kids if they were treated like, well, kids? Parents should let kids make decisions like what to eat, what to watch on TV, things like that?

When, exactly, should someone be a parent then? Never?
                          "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                          ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                            Every single article (including in that other thread) that discusses teen brains and their apparent inferiority, uses that as a justification for restricting and controlling youth. This study shows that it is precisely that restriction that is causing their brains to be damaged in the first place.

So giving freedom to kids will cause their brains to develop faster and better. Which is basically the argument we've been making all along.
                            The article clearly says there's a sweetspot (duh). If we treated teenagers exactly like adults, then that's an extreme to the other way ('neglectful')
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous View Post
                              "Did not want me to grow up", "tried to control everything I did" and "tried to make me feel dependent on her/him".

So, it asked kids if they were treated like, well, kids? Parents should let kids make decisions like what to eat, what to watch on TV, things like that?

When, exactly, should someone be a parent then? Never?
                              Haha, good parenting is stopping your kids from growing up. Funny, I thought the whole point of parenting was to prepare kids for being an adult. Holding them back for as long as possible not only goes against this idea, but it actually causes damage to their brain development. Not to mention lots of damage to their social development.

Comment

Working...
                              X