No announcement yet.

Sex abuse scandal. Guess the religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben is a category all his own as a growing number of posters here (probably a majority by now) realise his condition. Continuing to debate him is the food he seeks. You will never have a rational debate, you will never convince him of anything, but you will ensure he continues to spout his idiocy so long as you engage him.
    That's fine. I'm sure people around the world care what Wezil thinks.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Yeah, stylistic quibbling: it's what we've sunk to
      I personally find this debate enthralling..
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Catholic sex abuse scandal raising doubts for young German Catholics

But beyond such juvenalia and other late-night TV humor, the global pedophile priest scandal is causing disaffection among a young generation of Catholics.

With waning trust in church institutions and a turn toward “spirituality” among Catholic youth, many German Catholics under 30 have turned away from the pope. While saying they respect Benedict’s learning, young German Catholics don’t identify with Bavarian-born Benedict or with an institution seen as closed, hierarchical, and absolute.

Polls reflect this sentiment. A March survey showed that only 24 percent of Germans expressed trust in Pope Benedict, compared to 38 percent in January. Overall trust in the Roman Catholic Church was even lower, at 17 percent in March compared to 29 percent in January, the poll showed. And according the Forsa Institute's April poll of more than 1,000 German Catholics, 23 percent of all church members are considering leaving.

That disillusionment is felt greatest among youths, the poll found, with more than one-third of Catholics aged 18 to 29 considering leaving the church.
        http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europ...rman-Catholics

I guess there's a silver lining.

Comment

• Don't worry, as the get older and closer to death, they will revert to ignorance.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
            I personally find this debate enthralling..
            There's a debate going on in this thread?
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Woosh.

Comment

Woosh.
                sarcasm:
                n.

1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
                2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
                3. The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit1.

[Late Latin sarcasmus, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein, to bite the lips in rage, from sarx, sark-, flesh.]
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Poll: Most Say Sex Abuse by Priests Remains a Problem
                  CBS

Spoiler:
                  Most Americans, including Catholics, believe the Vatican has done a poor job handing child sexual abuse by priests, according to a new CBS News/New York Times poll. And while there is a perception that the Vatican has shifted away from covering up alleged cases, nearly three in four Americans believe child sexual abuse by priests remains a problem.

Just 13 percent of Americans, and 31 percent of Catholics, say the Vatican has done a good job handing child sexual abuses cases. Two in three - including 58 percent of Catholics - say it has done a poor job. Catholics who attend mass every week are split on the question.

A majority of both Americans overall and Catholics say the Vatican's handling of the issue has not had an effect on their perception of the Catholic Church. But among those whose perception has shifted, it has not been in a positive direction.

Thirty-six percent of Americans, including one in five Catholics, say the Vatican's handling of the situation has left them feeling more negatively about the Church than they used to. Just four percent feel more positively.

There is some relatively good news from the Church's perspective: More people say the Vatican is trying to prevent child sex abuse (50 percent) than say the Vatican is trying to cover up the problem (33 percent). Asked what the Vatican had done in the past, 80 percent said it had worked to cover up the problem, while just six percent said it had tried to prevent abuse.

Catholics have somewhat more positive perceptions: Three in four say the Vatican is now trying to prevent abuse, while 17 percent say it is trying to cover it up.

Still, 55 percent of Catholics say child sexual abuse by priests remains a problem. Among Americans overall, that figure is 73 percent. Just 14 percent of Americans do not believe child sexual abuse by priests is a problem today.

Two in five Americans have "some" confidence that the Vatican can prevent future abuse, and 14 percent have a lot of confidence. Still, thirty-nine percent have little to no confidence the Vatican can prevent abuse.

Four in ten Catholics say reports of child sexual abuse have caused them to doubt the Vatican's authority. Fifty-five percent say the reports have not caused such doubts.

More than three in four say a person can be a good Catholic while not accepting the Pope's authority.

Despite their concerns, fewer than one in ten Catholics say the abuse reports have led them to question whether they will remain in the Church. And the vast majority say the reports have not had an effect on their level of comfort with their own priest or their donations to church.

Pope Benedict XVI receives favorable views from America's Catholics, though Americans overall view him negatively. Forty-three percent of Catholics have a favorable view of the pope, up from 27 percent in March. Seventeen percent have an unfavorable view.

Yet just 16 percent of Americans overall have a favorable perception of the pope, and 24 percent have an unfavorable perception. Nearly six in ten are unsure or haven't heard enough.

Roughly half of Catholics consider Benedict's leadership to be a mixed blessing. Twenty-five percent say his leadership has helped the Church, while 15 percent say it has hurt.

Then-Pope John Paul II fared better on this question when it was asked in April 2002: Then, 46 percent said his leadership had helped the Church, and just five percent said it had been a negative.

More than half of Catholics say the Vatican is out of touch with everyday Catholics. Two-thirds of Catholics would allow priests to marry, and nearly six in ten would allow women to be ordained as priests.

Catholics generally do not believe child sexual abuse is more common in the Catholic Church than in other walks of life. They are divided on whether celibacy and homosexuality are a major factor, minor factor or non-factor in child sexual abuse.

Most Americans believe media reporting on abuse allegations has been fair, but Catholics are split, with nearly half saying the issue has been blown out of proportion.

And while Americans overall are most likely to say the media treat the Catholic Church the same as other religions, 64 percent of Catholics say the press corps has been harder on their church.

link, has pie charts

What I found interesting:
                  30% of American Catholics think homosexuality is a "major factor" in abuse
                  31% of American Catholics think the Vatican has handled the abuse well

Although I guess there's some good news... "Four in ten Catholics say reports of child sexual abuse have caused them to doubt the Vatican's authority . . . More than three in four say a person can be a good Catholic while not accepting the Pope's authority." I don't know how that works, but at least some people are willing to question an organization that shelters child molesters.

Comment

• More than three in four say a person can be a good Catholic while not accepting the Pope's authority
                    Well sure. They are wrong though.

If you don't want to accept the authority of the Pope, become a protestant. Only several thousand organisations available.

But, there's only one for us, so go and play in your sandbox and stay out of ours.

Comment

• If those three out of four left the church the rest of the church would collapse from lack of funds. Hmm, maybe that's a good thing. YEAH, choose a new sandbox. Kill the church.
                      I support you on this one ben.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• If those three out of four left the church the rest of the church would collapse from lack of funds.
                        That's their survey of American 'Catholics'. I wonder how different the survey would look for people who actually gave to the church and actually attend mass weekly. Somehow I suspect the numbers are different.

If you don't believe in what the Catholic church teaches go somewhere else. Don't call yourself Catholic though.

Comment

That's their survey of American 'Catholics'. I wonder how different the survey would look for people who actually gave to the church and actually attend mass weekly. Somehow I suspect the numbers are different.

If you don't believe in what the Catholic church teaches go somewhere else. Don't call yourself Catholic though.
                          I give to the Church and attend mass weekly and don't agree with the Church 100% of the time.
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• That's true, but I would think that you would respect the authority of the Pope?

You don't have to agree with him 100 percent of the time, but you do have to accept his authority over the Church if you want to be Catholic. Not everything the pope talks about is related to faith and morals, and some of these are legitimate areas of disagreement (ie, gun control, immigration, etc). Some are not, (homosexuality and birth control).

Comment

• I accept his authority, yes. But I disagree about homosexuality and birth control.

The thing about Papal infallibility, which I just found out, and is fascinating, is that it isn't like everything the Pope writes is automatically infallible just because he is Pope, it has to be specifically invoked. The Papal infallibility thing has only been around since the 1800's and I think it has only been invoked once on some matter regarding Mary.

Otherwise the Pope is definitely fallible and open to disagreement. Positions on gun control, the death penalty, immigration and war are no different than homosexuality & birth control.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• I give to the church, and i think our current pope is possibly a common criminal if some of the accusations of cover ups are true. But it's nice to know that you're the authority on who gets to call themselves catholic. Douche.
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X