Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Mr. Fun has said a bunch of things.

So you've read the book? My apologies then.
    I would like to accept your apology, but are you just apologizing for blaming me for not reading the book, or are you apologizing for using a dishonest tactic.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I'm apologising for accusing you of not reading the book.

If you and Mr. Fun aren't big enough to accept an honest apology, I don't know what to say. Heaven knows I'll never receive one in return.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Using the word diversify makes you look ignorant. The word people use is specialize.
        Ignorant? I find it funny that the only one who needs to puff himself up is you. I was perfectly able to understand what you were referring to.

Again you sound ignorant, because he doesn't say that nations always benefit from trade. He says that nations benefit from trade under certain conditions.
        Trade is more favourable under certain conditions, yes, but trade in general has greater benefit when it's two-way. This is the classic argument against mercantilism, which is simply that you should acquire the raw materials yourself and derive benefit through monopolistic exchange.

I know why you are having difficulty with this principle, and that's because you believe there's always a loser and a winner in every trade. I used to think the same as well, but my observations showed me precisely the opposite.

So it's not the modern free trade argument.
        Great, so now I need to quote the book?

Way to show comprehension, kid.

Look, props if you actually read the book, but I see no evidence here that you've actually read it beyond the television program you've watched.

I'm glad though you have syncophants like Mr. Fun who agree with you. I'm sure you find that comforting.

Maybe they will be a CNN special and Mr Fun will start his own thread.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I'm apologising for accusing you of not reading the book.

If you and Mr. Fun aren't big enough to accept an honest apology, I don't know what to say. Heaven knows I'll never receive one in return.
          It's hard for me to accept an apology from someone who hates gay people.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

And it's hard for me to accept anything from a ****ing Iowegian. Deal with it.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Drake, you can't make up your mind whether to have me on Ignore, or have me off Ignore, can you?

Comment

It's hard for me to accept an apology from someone who hates gay people.
                Let's get this straight.

I'm perfectly fine with gay people.

You on the other hand...

Comment

I'm perfectly fine with gay people.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                    This matters because if Adam Smith was a strict egalitarian than all conservative thought is bastardization. Who is their father then?
                    Eh, I still find it irrelevant since most of our adulation for founding fathers, and for dead famous people generally, tends to be rather selective. For example, lots of people idolize Jefferson, and very few of them are yeoman farmers, or believe we should have more yeoman farmers...ideas should stand or fall on their own merits, not because of the ostensible endorsement of the long-departed.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      Eh, I still find it irrelevant since most of our adulation for founding fathers, and for dead famous people generally, tends to be rather selective.
                      Well I don't idealize Smith. I'm just commenting on the fact that some do, and don't seem to really understand what he was saying. Smith is very often quoted by people who don't understand what they are quoting.
                      For example, lots of people idolize Jefferson, and very few of them are yeoman farmers, or believe we should have more yeoman farmers...
                      A lot of people who like Jefferson also think that family farmers are good to have. But besides that they agree with him that power should not be concentrated, which is really more important.
                      ideas should stand or fall on their own merits, not because of the ostensible endorsement of the long-departed.
                      That's like saying we should never debate anything, and just let ideas stand on their own.

Comment

Ignorant? I find it funny that the only one who needs to puff himself up is you.
                        I was defending myself. That's pretty obvious. Otherwise I would have "puffed myself up" in the OP.
                        I was perfectly able to understand what you were referring to.
                        That's in no way obvious. Remember I asked you to show us that you read the book. I'm not saying that you didn't read the book. Conservatives seem to have a reading comprehension problem. But you didn't show me that you read the book.
                        Trade is more favourable under certain conditions, yes, but trade in general has greater benefit when it's two-way. This is the classic argument against mercantilism, which is simply that you should acquire the raw materials yourself and derive benefit through monopolistic exchange.

I know why you are having difficulty with this principle, and that's because you believe there's always a loser and a winner in every trade. I used to think the same as well, but my observations showed me precisely the opposite.
                        This is all nonsense. I don't believe the things you are claiming that I do. No real suprize there.
                        Look, props if you actually read the book, but I see no evidence here that you've actually read it beyond the television program you've watched.
                        But you have evidence that I didn't? What is that evidence?

Comment

Working...
                        X