• Show
Clear All

Too soon.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
      You need to read Wealth of Nations, not watch a TV show, Kid.
      I understood Kid saying, "I didn't think I would learn anything new," in that he may have already read the book. Maybe more than once.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
        That makes no sense. In light of his theories he should have no problem with big buisness as long as it is conforming to free market forces. He may not have liked or trusted big buisness, which makes sense given that big buisness in his day refered almost exclusively to state sanctioned monopolies like the East India Trading Company, but they are not at all at odds with his theories.
        Holy-agreement-with-Patty, Batman!

Comment

I think most people who read the Wealth of Nations are more surprised by Smith's somewhat pro-union outlook:

We rarely hear, it has been said, of the combinations of masters, though frequently of those of workmen. But whoever imagines, upon this account, that masters rarely combine, is as ignorant of the world as of the subject. Masters are always and everywhere in a sort of tacit, but constant and uniform, combination, not to raise the wages of labour above their actual rate...Masters, too, sometimes enter into particular combinations to sink the wages of labour even below this rate. These are always conducted with the utmost silence and secrecy till the moment of execution; and when the workmen yield, as they sometimes do without resistance, though severely felt by them, they are never heard of by other people" In contrast, when workers combine, "the masters..never cease to call aloud for the assistance of the civil magistrate, and the rigorous execution of those laws which have been enacted with so much severity against the combination of servants, labourers, and journeymen
          And support for proportional taxation:

It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
            That makes no sense. In light of his theories he should have no problem with big buisness as long as it is conforming to free market forces. He may not have liked or trusted big buisness, which makes sense given that big buisness in his day refered almost exclusively to state sanctioned monopolies like the East India Trading Company, but they are not at all at odds with his theories.
            There are two different definitions of egalitarianism. Consider his belief that producers should have no benefits except those that benefit consumers. Clearly he favors consumers over producers. So he was not the kind of egalitarian that believed in equal rights. He was the second kind that believed that believed in economic equality. If you are still not convinced, consider that he believed that people only required the basic economic necessities to be truely happy, and that he said that civil defense is always instituted against the poor.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Main_Brain View Post
              I dont follow that interpretation? Quite a while ago i wanted to quote Mr. Smith regarding companies, unfortunatly i had forgotten that Adam Smith doesn't mention private corporations at all. True he argues companies (Like East India and Hudson) subsidized by monopolies ( spoiler: He was against them ) Yet large businesses? Which Book are they discussed in?

He elaborates on Manufacturies (sp?) and international Trade, but Big Business? I dont think so. The Reason is quite simple, in 1776 when his original Book was written, the incorporation of companies was still a political act which required royal/ parlament admission in Great Britain.

Limited liability FTW
              The point is to debate what Adam Smith would support in this age.

Comment

The point is to debate what Adam Smith would support in this age.
                Which is, of course, pointless because we'll never know.

It's just like digging up quotes from George Washington or Thomas Jefferson and then asserting that clearly they would have supported/opposed a 3% increase in a particular income tax bracket. Not only is it something we cannot know, it's absurd because the first thing they both would have done is freak out that there is an income tax. And that would only be the beginning. It would take zombie Washington years just to learn about all the stuff that's happened since he died.

Adam Smith was writing in a world where people thought Mercantalism was a good idea.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

China?
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I understood Kid saying, "I didn't think I would learn anything new," in that he may have already read the book. Maybe more than once.
                    I understood that as, "Commies regard Adam Smith as the devil", and then finding out that he's been lied to.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I understood that as, "Commies regard Adam Smith as the devil", and then finding out that he's been lied to.
                      I understand this statement of yours as you acting like an idiot.

Comment

Kid hasn't said anything to the contrary.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

What, he hasn't said you're not an idiot?

I haven't read TWON, because I understand it's ginormous and boring. Also, what Arrian said. You show Adam Smith the world today, he'd take about five years just catching up on enough science to fathom the internet. Also, I'm not sure anyone from his era would be terribly keen on the women voting thing.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
                            Which is, of course, pointless because we'll never know.
                            I don't know if it's going to rain tomorrow, but I'd like to know what the weatherman thinks just the same.

Comment

I'm not a communist and I never thought Adam Smith was the devil.

So it's seems pretty obvious that you aren't going to even try to say anything intelligent in this thread, which is just fine with me, because I remember the last time we discussed Adam Smith and it was like getting teeth pulled.

Comment

Yes, you are indeed acting like an idiot. MrFun is correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X