Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No thread on the Baptist child abductors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No thread on the Baptist child abductors?

Doing God's work in Haiti.

Haiti Questions Americans Over "Kidnapping"

PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) - Haitian authorities questioned a group of 10 American missionaries on Monday who are accused of illegally trying to take children out of the quake-shattered Caribbean country.

A prosecutor met with the Americans at police headquarters in Port-au-Prince, where they have been held since they were arrested late on Friday trying to cross into the Dominican Republic with a busload of 33 children they said were orphaned by the devastating January 12 earthquake.

The Baptist missionaries deny Haitian charges they were engaged in child trafficking and insist they were only trying to help vulnerable orphans left destitute by the quake.

The case could be diplomatically sensitive at a time when the United States is spearheading a huge relief effort to help hundreds of thousands of Haitian quake victims, and as U.S. aid groups pour millions of dollars of donations into Haiti.

The U.S. military on Monday resumed medical evacuation flights of critically injured earthquake victims to the United States, ending a five-day suspension caused by a dispute over where to treat patients and who would pay for their care.

The aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson and two other U.S. ships were leaving Haiti after completing their relief missions. Several other U.S. warships remained offshore to support the operation.

Also on Monday, U.N. officials said former U.S. President Bill Clinton, the world body's special envoy to Haiti, would be named international coordinator for Haitian relief efforts.

Edmond Mulet, acting head of the U.N. peacekeeping force in Haiti, told Reuters in an interview it could take Haiti decades to recover, but that the tragedy provided an opportunity for Haitians to rebuild their country "the right way.

Mulet said the world community "should do better" at assisting Haiti's long-term development and that job creation and development programs were needed to fight endemic poverty.

But it was also a chance for Haitians to think about their own responsibilities and "refound their republic," he said.

'GOD'S PURPOSE'

Haitian authorities have expressed fears the chaos and loss caused by the earthquake that killed up to 200,000 people could allow child traffickers to prey on vulnerable children.

Government officials said the detained Americans had no documents proving the children were orphans or giving them permission to take them out of the country.

"We have information about people trying to steal kids to take them out of the country, which is the reason why the government has decided to reinforce security," Communications Minister Marie-Laurence Lassegue said of the arrests.

Lassegue said it was possible the five men and five women could be sent home for trial because of the damage inflicted on the Haitian judicial system by the quake.

"We tell all Americans all over the world 24 hours a day that you are subject to the laws of the country where you find yourself," the U.S. consul general in Haiti, Donald Moore, told reporters on Monday.

Moore said the missionaries were "being processed according to the Haitian penal system." He had no comment on whether Haiti had been in contact with the U.S. government about moving the case to the United States.

Evidence emerged that many of the 33 children intercepted with the missionaries were not orphans.

Haiti's police said some of them were handed over voluntarily by their parents. A woman at police headquarters who said she was the mother of five of the children said a local pastor acting as an intermediary told her they would have a better life if they went with the missionaries.

The Americans, who admit they had no documents, approvals or passports for the Haitian infants, insist they just wanted to help them by taking them over the border to an orphanage they were establishing in the Dominican Republic.

"They really didn't have any paperwork ... I did not understand that that would really be required," the leader of the group, Laura Silsby, told CNN. The children included a baby and other youngsters up to age 12.

"God is the one who called us to come here and we just really believed that this was his purpose," said Carla Thompson, another member of the group, which called itself the New Life Children's Refuge.

Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive, who has cited reports of child trafficking and even human organ trafficking since the quake, has called the arrested Americans "kidnappers." But he has acknowledged the possibility they were misguided but acting in good faith to help the children.

The case of the Americans resembles that of a group of French charity workers who were detained in Chad in 2007 and accused of trying to fly 103 children out of the African country without authorization.

The six French members of the Zoe's Ark group said the children were "war orphans" from Sudan's Darfur, but U.N. officials said many were Chadian and were not orphans.

Chad initially sentenced the six to hard labour terms, but they were subsequently repatriated to France and released after a pardon granted by the Chadian president.

(Additional reporting by Tom Brown; Writing by Pascal Fletcher; Editing by Peter Cooney)
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

It's only to be expected. It's a non story.
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

The head of a Catholic order in Germany has apologised for the systematic sex abuse apparently committed by two priests at a prestigious Berlin school.

Fr Stefan Dartmann said students at the Jesuit-run Canisius College had complained in 1981, much earlier than the order had previously admitted.

The Jesuit said he was ashamed that the college and the order had left the complaint unanswered.

The number of victims was greater than originally believed, he added.

"I apologise that those responsible at the time did not investigate and react as they should have done," said Fr Dartmann.

He said he was aware of 25 cases not just in Berlin, but at two other Catholic schools in Hamburg and in the Black Forest, where the priests had been transferred.

Most of the victims had been boys aged around 13 or 14, but young girls were also targeted for abuse.

Abuse continued?

Fr Klaus Mertes, the Canisius College's director, said last week two former teachers had repeatedly and systematically abused students in the 1970s and 80s.

The prosecutor's office is investigating the cases but experts say they can no longer be prosecuted because of Germany's statute of limitations.
      Canisius College, Berlin, Germany, 1 February 2010
      The college is the alma mater of many politicians and business leaders

Both men, named in the German press as Peter R and Wolfgang S, left the Jesuit order in the 1980s.

However, there is suspicion they may have continued to abuse children at institutions in Spain, Mexico and Chile, says the BBC's Oana Lungescu in Berlin.

Last month, Wolfgang S, who lives in Chile, sent a letter of apology to some of his victims.

According to press reports, a former student tried to stab Peter R in the 1980s before taking his own life.

Founded as an all-boys school and the alma mater of many German politicians and business leaders, Canisius College turned co-educational in the late 1970s.
      BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
      Blah

Comment

Newsflash: Christians aren't perfect.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

To say the least.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

But it would be nice to see them strive for the ideals they claim to support just once....
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

They had good intentions...
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                When did you start buying into abrahamic horse****?

Comment

Well, it's obvious what the solution is, ban all Christians from charity and relief work.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Only need to ban the people who are Christian in name, not in spirit. Like you. People who profess to be Christian and then break Christian tenets are no real Christians at all.

Comment

Tenets such as what? Love your neighbour? Do not judge?
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Thou shalt not steal.

Love thy neighbour and do not judge are also pretty key. You fail at those, too.

Comment

It's hard to say at this point whether they had bad intentions or were merely acting thoughtlessly. Being stupid, while not a good thing, is not exactly a sin.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                            Quoted for posterity.

Raping children does seem to be somewhat endemic in the Catholic church, though. Could it have anything to do with the fact that Catholicism does terrible things to some people's brains?

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                              It's hard to say at this point whether they had bad intentions or were merely acting thoughtlessly. Being stupid, while not a good thing, is not exactly a sin.
                              That's where Christianity first went wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X