Thread in which we discuss The Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 % Tempranillo
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
      Sorry for the lon response - you aren't on ignore

I have tried both and it's the usual, you pay for what you get. The difference is that you actually get something. The 60 DKK could easily become a daily wine and the more expensive could be a showoff wine.

I have got a bottle of Aventino 2006 from same area, and I'm looking forward to taste it (it's somethiing between - 79 DKK).

Glad you liked them. I reckon 79DKK is about £11? Decent price. That Aventino looks great. I'd probably have bought it... good to get the heads up!
      Last edited by MikeH; March 22, 2010, 05:00.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber View Post
        Do you have a wine cellar?

We have talked about installing some racks in a basement storage area so we could keep more on hand
        We have a basement room, which we've put racks for about 120 bottles in. Upstairs we have a few small racks (~ 30 bottles) for the stuff we're going to be drinking soon. We're currently overstocked so have about 10/20 bottles still in their boxes in the basement.

Most of the stuff we have ~ 90 bottles or so is stuff we're ageing. But it is convenient to be able to have most different types on hand, and we try and keep things stocked... actually we were trying to work out if we could get some more racks in. Have to have a clear out of the basement first.
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
          We have a basement room, which we've put racks for about 120 bottles in. Upstairs we have a few small racks (~ 30 bottles) for the stuff we're going to be drinking soon. We're currently overstocked so have about 10/20 bottles still in their boxes in the basement.

Most of the stuff we have ~ 90 bottles or so is stuff we're ageing. But it is convenient to be able to have most different types on hand, and we try and keep things stocked... actually we were trying to work out if we could get some more racks in. Have to have a clear out of the basement first.
          wow bumped a 4 month old thread to answer

The only space we have now is a 20 bottle space built into our kitchen island to keep some wine close at hand-- we also sometimes store some (when we buy a case of something) essentially in its box downstairs in a cool storage room . I have been tempted to put a small refrigeration unit down there plus some more racks
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Kitchen is the worst possible place to keep wine because the massively fluctuating temperature due to cooking will kill it if you leave it there for any length of time. So I'd definitely get a rack in the basement.

If the basement is reasonably constant temp, (with seasonal fluctuations rather than daily) I'd say that's fine. You don't need to refrigerate.

If you are going to refrigerate it, you don't want it as cold as a standard domestic fridge. ~13C is about right for storage. (55.4F apparently). Even for white, just store it that temp and chill it down for drinking. And even then you only want to down go to 6-8 degrees (43-46F).
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Kitchen is the worst possible place to keep wine because the massively fluctuating temperature due to cooking will kill it if you leave it there for any length of time. So I'd definitely get a rack in the basement.

).
              The wines in the centre island actually are on the side of the island facing the living room and are relatively far from the oven and stovetop in a large "open concept" space (kitchen and living room are all one space ). The wine gets used reasonably quickly in any event but as a space I doubt the temperature fluctuations are any greater there than in any other room in our house (other than the storage room)

basement.

If the basement is reasonably constant temp, (with seasonal fluctuations rather than daily) I'd say that's fine. You don't need to refrigerate.
              ).
              Our basement is generally cool and the storage room (a windowless space with no heating ducts and a door not opened that often ) is by far our best space for wine. The idea for a refrigerator in there was more for my beer (and the ability to chill a white was part of that since our main refrigerator is always packed and doubly so at any time that we might be bringing out a white-- almost certainly guests as we both far prefer reds and are continuing our explorations in that direction-- so much to try !!)
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Excellent!

I'm happy to try and give you some recommendations if you let me know some stuff you already like.
                We've got both kinds

Comment

Excellent!

I'm happy to try and give you some recommendations if you let me know some stuff you already like.
                  Ah I am lousy at recalling the exact wine names and generally need the bottle in front of me but we had been delving into the world of Shiraz(from a very wide variety of countries, years and price ranges) and generally enjoyed them.

More recently we have taken a sidetrip into Amarone. Everything in this journey has been mid-late 90s vintages and I recall a couple of Massi Amarone that we have enjoyed as well as a "Zen" something and an Alegreno?? I will say more when I get home and survey the bottles

Comment

Post editing, ***! Someone get me another beer.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Ah cool.

Matetic do good Chilean Syrah (which is Shiraz), range of prices The EQ is excellent, the Coralillo also good.

Try some of the Vin de Pays from the South of France, you can get a lot of bang for your buck there.

Had a 2001 Toques et Closhers Occursus not too long ago that was great. And a 100% cinsault from http://www.terrassedelise.com/

If you're in the states my wife documented our recent trip to Sonoma on our blog:

Extremely irregular thought about wine, food, drink and whatever else we fancy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

bump.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Went to a wine dinner last Tuesday.

The Pinot Noir was surprisingly light. I don't normally go for them, but this one reminded me of strawberries. Refreshing.

The Chardonnay was too tart for me.

I was doubtful when the server told me the Merlot had "notes of chocolate and cherries", but damn if it didn't taste like a cherry cordial. Delicious.

The Zinfandel was spicy but also sweet, reminding me of allspice. Tasty.

None of the wines were particularly tannic, which suited me fine.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Speaking of Pinot Noir (not typically something I like), I recently tried Willamatte Valley Vineyards Whole Cluster Pinot Noir. It's still lighter-bodied than I like, but it's tasty enough that I don't really care.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

last week of this month i'll be wine tasting in the ribera del duero. can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Saras View Post
                                I became partial to some of the more pricey Argentine stuff. Reccommended:

2004 Yacochuya Malbec, Michel Rolland, La Salta
                                2005 Val de Flores Malbec, Michel Rolland, Mendoza
                                2005 Cuvelier Los Andes Grand Malbec
                                2002 Nicolas Catena Zapata
                                I'm very partial to the 2005 Malbec from Argentine myself

Although nothing comes close to the 1995/96 and 2005 cosechas from the Ribera del Duero.

Comment

Working...
                                X