No announcement yet.

Thread in which we discuss The Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only one I remember is Robert Mondavi, but seeing as even I know that winery, it's probably got a bad rep like Budweiser to the wine experts.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Visiting a friend from here who's working in SF for a couple of years. His gf is up for driving!
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
        The 2001, predictably enough, was very good.
        Maybe I'll try and find a bottle of 2002 and compare them!
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Drinking a delicious Bulldozer Pinotage whilst playing MOBIUS at Blood Bowl!
          We've got both kinds

Comment

I don't have a ton of wine experience, I was there with my wife 6 months or so ago. There's a newer winery -- Hill Family -- that we liked for the $. They don't have the old-school winery tour, just a store in town, but the young kid is a pretty entertaining story teller.
            The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Rodney Strong Vineyards is in Sonoma county. Good Merlot. I have a bottle of 2004 stored in the pantry.
              Robert Mondavi Winery is in Napa Valley. Test a few different wines out and decide.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Some 20 years ago Zinfandel was both cheap and good, but today I can only get some expensive crap wines - guess that the locals are buying it up

Fortunatedly, there are some Italinas that have figured out that their Primitivo grape is pretty much the same - I had a table wine on that a couple of weeks ago, and it was both good and cheap ($10).
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It depends on what your tastes are. Several well known wine critics have repeatedly said they like "big Zins", that is ones with lots of tanins in them, and then gave very high marks to makers who made that type of Zin. The result is most of the wineries are now chasing those scores and think if they also make Zin with lots of tanins then they'll also get a high score. The problem is Zin was always a nice wine to drink right when you get it but if you add lots of tanins then you have to age it so that kind of defeats the whole stated purpose of Zin; which is supposed to be inexpensive good quality table wine which is good to drink as soon as you buy it.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

True, that is probably a part of my problem. I like heavy wines, such as ChateauNeuf du Pape and burgundy wines, but they are horrenduous expensive if I go for what I want where the old Zin's was a reasonable alternative. Fortunatedely, the Italian Primitivos are still both good and reasonable priced.

Dammit, I guess that it's the portugese all over again - back in the mid 80'es you could get a damn good garrafeira for some $6 - today that will give you pure crap
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yeah, lots of great Italian Primitivos out there, and really good value. I don't buy a lot of Californian wine over here as it tends to be relatively expensive, or quite crap bulk stuff but as we'll be in California...

If you like that kind of wine (like me!) you might want to take a look at Ribera del Deuro in Spain. Not much from there at the cheapest end of the market, but some really good big fruity wines. Mostly made from "Tinto" which is Tempranillo by another name.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

That sounds very interesting, and it looks like my local wine pusher has two on stock - Valdehermoso Crianza 2005 and Panero Roble 2007 (actually, he has three, but the third are a Pingus 2006, $1100 a bottle ). I think I'll pay him a visit - though, not today - there are a minor snowstorm outside.

The price doesn't matter so much today since I'm a bit better of than back in the 80'es where I was a poor student

Edit: Dammit, forgot to say that the stupid spanish government are about to destroy the area http://www.savetheduero.com/

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Cool. Let me know what you think whenever you do get them.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

This is my favourite wine- http://www.neipperg.com/index.php?act=1,12,5,,,,,en
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I'm not much of a wine drinker, but based on the whites I have tasted this one is excellent:

...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Chard Farm produces my favorite Central Otago Pinot Noir - The Viper.

I got a couple of cases of the 08 when I was back in NZ last year.

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Working...
                                X