No announcement yet.

advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want to see Kuci get his ass kicked by a girl?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Women are irrational. They don't make good friends.

If you're not ****ing her, there's no point.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        You want to see Kuci get his ass kicked by a girl?
        Does your religion allow you to ask such a quetion ?
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post

Personal experience ?
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

He may want to **** her friend/sister/mom. If so, he still has a reason to put up with her irrational ****.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I always thought white people with Asian fetishes are a little creepy. I fear it won't be long before thread starter is sending his kids into the air in a balloon to get on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                Kuci, it's only an Anglosphere phenomenon, restricted to Australia, New Zealand, USA, Britain, (including Ireland and Scotland), and Canada.

The whole tradition of a roast etc, that's all on the Brits. That British culture is mocked internally is pretty much a feature of this culture.

Go to any other culture, or subculture in either, and you do not see this. Not even in Svealand, or even in Holland. People are really touchy even in most of Europe. You see it here, particularly with first nations people (who are incredibly touchy!), among the French (don't even go there), and with any of the immigrant communities.
                Damn straight Svealanders, and especially those touchy Dalecarlians with their silly ring dances and painted model horses! (Psst.. Svealand is only the middle third of the country.)

You're right in that it is a British cultural trait and they are the masters at it, however I hardly think it is something restricted to the English countries. I doubt that Europeans react much differently than Americans, Canadians or Australians to foreigners making fun of them as long as it's understood to be without any real bad feeling. But to establish that part is obviously easier between familiar cultures (and younger generations who are more exposed to foreigners).

And is not like a few touchy people from anywhere disproves anything. On the internet you'll encounter some extremely humorless people from all the English countries. It is just a matter of finding their sore spot. Trolling Canadians on hockey forums and you're guaranteed to get as many bites as you can handle. With Americans their ridiculous foreign policy machismo, or their plastic culture, their overreligiousness, their world famous pompous ignorance or their unresolved race issues. You get the point, it's a deep well. For Swedes, the alleged collaboration with Germans in WW2 works well, or call them "girly" or "gay" (as the flip side to progressive and gender equal). You see the last one a lot from our less developed brothers in Eastern Europe, such as Finland.

On the other hand the Swedish bikini team or In-ga the tall, beautiful and incomprehensible blonde that Hollywood loves to obsess about is probably an equally flattering, insulting and nonsensical theme and not likely to render a reaction harsher than an eyeroll. Make similar exotic and sexually tinged stereotypes about a less developed country, like China, they are a lot less likely to consider it an innocent crush and the reaction accordingly gets much stronger. "Creepy" would just be the first of it.

Ths other issue here is that immigrants (and other minorities I guess) often appear "threatened" by the majority culture and might feel they are losing their identity to it without feeling perfectly at home in it, that's a common phenomenon. Women also seem much more anxious than men in general, perhaps because they have more hidden insecurity.

Basically then, this has been a lot of words to establish the general common sense of the OP and the other reasonable posters in the thread.

As for self-mocking I really believe that's a common comedy theme in all the Western world. All the English countries speak the same language and are a lot more exposed to each other's cultures than to others' so this might be hard to realize. And while I regret making this another post where I mostly speak about my own country (it's very handy to refer to for perspective on all cultural issues), here's an IKEA commercial that aired in Germany to help my point:

Now that video is pretty accessible being intended for foreigners in the first place, but there's lots more which will be harder to get because if you're not from the country or have lived there you just won't get the references (aprt from the language barrier).

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                  Ouch.

Nothing personal; it's not like there's a great number of posters on Poly pulling down quality poon. The fact that you're getting laid at all puts you firmly in the top quartile of posters here.
                  I don't see how that could possibly be taken as a comfort.

Comment

I think you failed at making your point clear to her.

"[17:15] Girl: i just can't understand how you can say that it's beneficial and should be acceptable for the more developed western countries to criticize other countries cultures"

This, the Russians mocking aboriginals and the tangent about how immigrants to the US will start criticizing their home countries, makes it seem to me that she feels you were arguing from a point of cultural supremacism that developed, civilized countries should be able to mock undeveloped primitive countries. And once people leave those ****holes and come to the west they realize how horrible their homes are and start mocking them too. I don't think she understood you were arguing from an equal opportunity free speech perspective.

I don't think her Chineseness is a factor here, for all intents and purposes she is American. I think she is just being politically incorrect and not understanding your point. Which you didn't make as clear as you could.

You needed to turn it around and ask her if she gets upset when people in other countries criticize the United States. Ask her if there is something wrong when people mock Texans, or McDonalds (as a representative of American culture/food), etc. If she says she gets horribly upset when non-Americans do that, then she understood your point and is consistent.

If she says that's ok, then challenge her on the double-standard and make clear that you aren't advocating superior westerners mock inferior others, but that all countries shouldn't have such a thin skin - including ours. I think your point was lost a bit.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post

QFT

It's not a cultural issues, it's a beitch issue
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Ask her if the identifies as a Chinese or as an American. If she says the former then call her a terrorist.
                        RoboCon v2.1.1

Comment

Those Aboriginals are really touchy. Mocking their culture? That's like saying Disney's Pinoccio mocked Russian culture in its puppet theatre performance.
                          Graffiti in a public toilet
                          Do not require skill or wit
                          Among the **** we all are poets
                          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I don't see how that could possibly be taken as a comfort.

It was the best I could do.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Dude, Asians are super touchy about perceived insults to their nations and their national honor. Just look at someone like QCubed, who's normally a perfectly rational human being but morphs into an aggrieved victim who thinks white people are all offensive ethnocentrists when he hears the word "Oriental". You need to realize that people from other cultures don't think like us and apologize to your friend. Sure, she's overreacting and you're right, but apologizing will save you a lot of grief.
                              This. All of this.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Ouch.

Nothing personal; it's not like there's a great number of posters on Poly pulling down quality poon. The fact that you're getting laid at all puts you firmly in the top quartile of posters here.

It's funny cuz it's true.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X