No announcement yet.

advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totally see your point. But it should be noted that the Chinese themselves (including their gov't up to and including their president) describe their country in such ways -- perhaps in part to avoid the wrath of the public when they do something unpopular.

It's different when a white person tells you you're poor and undeveloped than it is when you're Chinese leader says it. The latter is straight talk, the former insulting.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Actually, the Chinese government will say China is either poor or rich depending on the message it wants to get across at the time.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Kuci, you should ask your friend why everyone needs walk on eggshells around the Chinese, while they literally spit on our country.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

No, I'm pretty sure that's not what I need to say. This isn't about winning the argument, it's about getting along with her without being dishonest.

Comment

If all I cared about were winning the argument I wouldn't have bothered to ask y'all, I'm quite capable of figuring that one out myself

Comment

Oh, then just apologize, even if you don't mean it.
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Have read a bit more and sincerely hope that this girl talk with others - Kuci isn't exactly a good dialogue partner.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

This isn't about winning the argument, it's about getting along with her without being dishonest.

That's a pipe dream. You're going to have to be dishonest.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Hmm,

I take it Kuci wants to get in her pants?
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Been there done that.

edit: for the confused this wasn't an xpost
                      Last edited by Kuciwalker; January 22, 2010, 20:04.

Comment

See, you can lie.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Comment

Sigh,

"are you insinuating that this is a defect of poorer, undeveloped countries?"

This is the key question here. Remember, she's going to take this personally, even if you regard her as American. The question she is asking you, which is not what she's saying is, "how do you feel about my culture"?

Your answer was:

"I believe there in fact _is_ a strong correlation"

Which she reads and hears as, yes, I regard you as uncultured and worthless.

If you want to try to salvage this, I'd recommend writing her a letter explaining that you consider her to be, as American as I am, and that your commentaries on Chinese culture have nothing to do with her. You think it's a good thing that she's American and that she's come from abroad to stay and live here, which is the only culture she's known and grown up under. The least of which she can look back on Chinese culture and not be lead around the nose, and that she's capable of standing under her own feet and capable of thinking and making decisions for herself.

Something to that effect. You'll have to double down so to speak.

I doubt she'll talk to you again.

Chalk it up to experience.

I'm surprised she didn't just drop you after you said *exactly* what you thought of Chinese culture.

My advice, don't date people from cultures you regard as poor and undeveloped.
                            Last edited by Ben Kenobi; January 22, 2010, 20:07.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Ben, no wonder she get pissed when Kuci claims something about American culture - everyone knows that such doesn't exist - what do exist is "the american way", but that isn't culture. Unfortunatedy, you canucks have it the same way
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Ben given people advise on how not to piss people off. Words of an expert.
                                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X