Windows 7 rules all, period.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On another note about Windows 7:

At work I have it installed on a test machine, every time I shut down Windows it wont shut down. It tells me that Windows can't shutdown because the program that is going to kill the open applications doesn't shut down. Then I have the choices to kill it or wait... waiting doesn't really help and if I click on the button for killing I get the typical "Are you sure you want to kill it? What did that application ever do to you?"

Originally posted by Asher View Post
    It's not? Just click the icon and close the thumbnail of the popup if you can't see the window to close it...
    Windows 7:

Click on the FF icon, move the mouse a bit and hit the tiny X (if you miss it you get the popup on top). No matter what you do, you will see the evil popup window

Older Windows:

Right click the evil popup icon, move the mouse up a few pixels, click, voila. Takes no time and you don't get to see the popup
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio View Post
      On another note about Windows 7:

At work I have it installed on a test machine, every time I shut down Windows it wont shut down. It tells me that Windows can't shutdown because the program that is going to kill the open applications doesn't shut down. Then I have the choices to kill it or wait... waiting doesn't really help and if I click on the button for killing I get the typical "Are you sure you want to kill it? What did that application ever do to you?"
      You've got a rogue program not listening to the "terminate" signal.

Windows 7:

Click on the FF icon, move the mouse a bit and hit the tiny X (if you miss it you get the popup on top). No matter what you do, you will see the evil popup window

Older Windows:

Right click the evil popup icon, move the mouse up a few pixels, click, voila. Takes no time and you don't get to see the popup
      The difference is what?

Windows 7: leftclick, move, click
      Older windows: rightclick, move, click

The drama is where?

Additionally, if the popup is not visible on the screen at all (it's behind your main window such that you need to use the taskbar to close it), then why is it a problem?

Also note that you don't even need to leftclick on the taskbar icon, if you hover it works too.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You've got a rogue program not listening to the "terminate" signal.
        Sounds like that... but it's a clean install, pretty much only Windows components installed!

The difference is what?

Windows 7: leftclick, move, click
        Older windows: rightclick, move, click

The drama is where?
        Windows 7: More movement of the mouse, higher chance that it will fail if you try at the same speed as it would be in older Windows, unless you're an expert at aiming fast. If you go for the zero chance of failure, then it would take longer time to close
        In short: It takes longer in Windows 7 to do the same

Also note that you don't even need to leftclick on the taskbar icon, if you hover it works too.
        Yeah, but that takes even longer time... I'm not a patient guy when dealing with popups

Comment

Sounds like that... but it's a clean install, pretty much only Windows components installed!
          That's clearly not the case.

Windows 7: More movement of the mouse, higher chance that it will fail if you try at the same speed as it would be in older Windows, unless you're an expert at aiming fast. If you go for the zero chance of failure, then it would take longer time to close
          In short: It takes longer in Windows 7 to do the same

Yeah, but that takes even longer time... I'm not a patient guy when dealing with popups
          I'm confused. First off, why are you seeing popups with Firefox? Second off, if you're seeing popups why are you not closing the window when it's focused? Third off, if it's not focused why do you care if it's not taking up screen real-estate?

If you don't like it combining windows into one entry, did it ever occur to you to turn it off? Set it to "combine when taskbar is full" to replicate the old behaviour. Vista/XP had the same behaviour if enough windows were open.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

That's clearly not the case.
            Considering that it started just after installing Windows 7 on fresh, without me installing anything else, I'd say it's 100% chance that it's only Windows

I'm confused. First off, why are you seeing popups with Firefox? Second off, if you're seeing popups why are you not closing the window when it's focused? Third off, if it's not focused why do you care if it's not taking up screen real-estate?
            1. Ask Firefox why it doesn't block them. It blocks most, but a few manages to get through

2. It goes in the background

3. Background popups are even worse than those in front IMHO

If you don't like it combining windows into one entry, did it ever occur to you to turn it off? Set it to "combine when taskbar is full" to replicate the old behaviour. Vista/XP had the same behaviour if enough windows were open.
            Yeah, I have been thinking about this a lot. The reason why I haven't done this is because I want to give it a try to see if I can ever befriend it... but so far I see nothing good about it

Comment

Considering that it started just after installing Windows 7 on fresh, without me installing anything else, I'd say it's 100% chance that it's only Windows
              It's impossible. There is something specific about your configuration that is obviously doing it. If it was truly a 100% fresh Windows install with nothing else installed on there, others would have the same problem.

Comment

Doesn't look impossible as that's what it's doing... believe it or not, it was a fresh install...
                Sure, I have installed other non-Windows applications now, but not at the time when it started

Comment

Windows 7 is universally loved at launch. You don't like it.
                  I don't like that I can't play Civ2 on it. Vista for all it's flaws, ran it just fine. I don't see how this makes me a troll considering that I'm on a CIV site of all things.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                    Vista for all it's flaws, ran it just fine.
                    Last edited by loinburger; April 18, 2010, 15:49.
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                      I don't like that I can't play Civ2 on it. Vista for all it's flaws, ran it just fine. I don't see how this makes me a troll considering that I'm on a CIV site of all things.
                      You can.
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                      X