No announcement yet.

Arnold Vants Der High-Speed Rail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oerdin is an illiterate San Diegian. He is also poor and Irish.

Oh, BTW, Seattle would never go for a highspeed rail link to Portland, our clear inferiors in every single way. Let Portland keep their people there.
    Last edited by MRT144; October 4, 2009, 16:45.
    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Did you just call Oerdin a 21st century shanty Irishman?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Is that a problem?
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
          If Californians want high-speed rail, that's fine. The citizens of California should have to pay for it themselves, however. There's no reason taxpayers in other states should have to help pay for a high-speed rail line that won't benefit them.
          That's my first thought. How the hell will they pay for it? Arnie is an idiot.
          The only things worse are the people that keep handing him the shovel to dig a deeper hole.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
            That's my first thought. How the hell will they pay for it? Arnie is an idiot.
            The only things worse are the people that keep handing him the shovel to dig a deeper hole.
            You missed Oerdin's post where he points out that the bonds have already been sold and the route has been surveyed. We're ready to go.

Mexico has plenty of money - more billionaires per capita than the US (IIRC) .
            Yep. Mexico is the inevitable outcome of supply-side economics: a very weathy upper class, and the rest of humanity, scambling to make a living.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
              Oerdin is an illiterate San Diegian. He is also poor and Irish.
              That's spot on except I'm not poor, I'm not Irish, nor am I illiterate. Besides, when we met up didn't I have to buy you beer and food because you were unemployed?
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                That's spot on except I'm not poor, I'm not Irish, nor am I illiterate. Besides, when we met up didn't I have to buy you beer and food because you were unemployed?
                I am a gentle manne of leisure.

'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I am a gentle manne of leisure.

Comment

And yes, you were most generous with your meager generosity.

Comment

It's an opinion piece but it's from today's LA Times.

Last November, voters passed a bond measure(2008) approving $9.95 billion to fund a high-speed train line from San Diego to Sacramento. They couldn't have known it then, but the timing was fortuitous. Months later, as part of the stimulus package, Congress dedicated $8 billion to pay for high-speed rail projects across the country. California is the only state where voters have already approved funding for a bullet train, and it has the most state-of-the-art proposal, with the most planning work completed, in the nation. Because the funding is meant to stimulate the economy as quickly as possible, officials at the Federal Railroad Administration are expected to give priority to applicants that can start hammering rail spikes soon. So when the California High-Speed Rail Authority submitted its application on Friday, it had powerful arguments on its side.

At least three sections are indeed shovel ready with engineering and environment permits granted and even bids submitted from contractors. The Stimulus bill included $8 billion just for high speed rail and California is the only state where its ready to go.

Comment

Weird time delay on that one.

Comment

Oerdin is a gentle manne of leisure.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
                            Yep. Mexico is the inevitable outcome of supply-side economics: a very weathy upper class, and the rest of humanity, scambling to make a living.
                            Yes, I'm sure Mexico has been following an economic theory of supply side economics, especially considering their highly progressive tax rates and Clinton era like corporate tax rates and highest marginal tax rates - until 2001 anyways (was Clinton a supply sider?). You moron.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

NAFTA screwed Mexico, too.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The line simply isn't economically feasable. We already had this discussion wrt to the east coast, which is more viable than the west coast, but still, LA-SF alone doesn't make sense let alone extending it to SD.

As for expansion across the us, what are you smoking? Do you know just how big the US is, especially in the west?
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X