No announcement yet.

Oh oh oh oh, Mr. Obama

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My position regarding Obama's speech is not weak. His speech really was straightforward and as non-partisan as could be, coming from a politician. In spite of you splitting hairs to find minor "errors."

X-POST
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Knit-picking minor errors may seem slightly biased, but being blind to any is equally so.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• My position regarding Obama's speech is not weak. His speech really was straightforward and as non-partisan as could be, coming from a politician. In spite of you splitting hairs to find minor "errors."
        So you have no problem with Presidents forcing people to attend speeches where they ask for loyalty to themselves personally? Again, think about my profession.

Also, did you not find that "I Pledge" video to be extremely creepy Mr. Fun?
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• I think Presidents asking for loyalty to themselves is not exactly rare in US history. In a certain eras if you weren't personally loyal to the President they'd think you were a commie.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Loyal to the Presidency, yes. Loyal to the president, no.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• They are basically the same thing when the current President is asking for loyalty. The institution of the Presidency cannot be divorced from the people who sit in that chair.

Anyways, I'd like for people to actually READ the speech:

It's a good speech, very uncontroversial, IMO.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Even though I'm not a big Obama fan, I couldn't find anything controversial or political in that one. (at least not blatant)

A decent speech.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• No, loyal to the republic, not to the President. They'd think you were a traitor if you believed you ought to be loyal to the President, over the republic. They'd accuse you of monarchism, particularly if you tried to pass off a pledge swearing loyalty personally to the president.

We have to swear a loyalty to the Queen personally up here, whereas you folks pledge allegiance to the republic for all she stands.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• IMO, the office of President is the single position that personifies the republic (apart from the constitution itself). As such, one can proclaim loyalty to the office of the President, but not to any lesser office or to a particular sitting president.

EDIT: the speech was quite innocuous
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                      No, loyal to the republic, not to the President. They'd think you were a traitor if you believed you ought to be loyal to the President, over the republic. They'd accuse you of monarchism, particularly if you tried to pass off a pledge swearing loyalty personally to the president.
                      Gosh, I remember not five years ago in the US, where disagreeing with the President's policies was construed as being a traitor to the country...

I can't remember, my memory's foggy, but was Obama president then?
                      B♭3

Comment

• Gosh, I remember not five years ago in the US, where disagreeing with the President's policies was construed as being a traitor to the country...
                        By whom? Dissent was patriotic dontchaknow?

The only ones who got called traitors were those who stuck up for Bush.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Try as I might I cannot remember a single instance of Bush requesting mandatory attendance from private citizens for the purpose of asking for thier personal loyalty.

Thats creepy no matter who does it, especially given that video that just went viral. It was a bad choice, Obama recognized it and changed it, issue over.
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Gosh, I remember not five years ago in the US, where disagreeing with the President's policies was construed as being a traitor to the country...

Five years ago, dissent was the highest form of patriotism...
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
                              issue over.
                              Best two words in this thread.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                                Gosh, I remember not five years ago in the US, where disagreeing with the President's policies was construed as being a traitor to the country...

Five years ago, dissent was the highest form of patriotism...
                                Right, which is why the ****ing nutters on the right called anyone disagreeing with those policies ****ing traitors.

**** you and your ****ing revisionism. **** all of you in the ear with a spiky dildo.
                                B♭3

Comment

Working...
                                X