Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[serious] Off Topic Moderation Input - Part 2

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Captain ******* Kirk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
    Is it hatred towards an alcoholic by insisting that they will be better off by leaving the bottle behind?
    No, but you should really mind your own ****ing business.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guynemer
    replied
    Originally posted by Elok View Post
    It does, but he's in and out of it a lot.

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeH
    replied
    Partner works.

    Leave a comment:


  • DaShi
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeH View Post
    I phrased it terribly.

    I don't talk about my sexuality but I can freely mention I've got a wife...

    1/5 of my company is openly gay, so it's normal.
    I have people say "Significant Other" so that we can all maintain a healthy suspicion over one another.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wezil
    replied
    Zing!

    Leave a comment:


  • Elok
    replied
    Originally posted by Wezil View Post
    It's not officially huge until it has its own office.
    It does, but he's in and out of it a lot.

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeH
    replied
    The point is, it doesn't matter if you choose to share that or not, if you did share it, it shouldn't have any impact on your treatment.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wezil
    replied
    Us to, but we work outside the office so interaction is limited to once a month staff meetings.

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeH
    replied
    Originally posted by Wezil View Post
    I have no idea what portion of my firm is. We aren't openly anything.
    There's only 10 of us.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wezil
    replied
    It's not officially huge until it has its own office.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guynemer
    replied
    My firm is proportionately 40% of me, nudge nudge, wink wink, if ya know what I mean.


    ...


    I mean my penis is huge.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wezil
    replied
    I have no idea what portion of my firm is. We aren't openly anything.

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeH
    replied
    I phrased it terribly.

    I don't talk about my sexuality but I can freely mention I've got a wife...

    1/5 of my company is openly gay, so it's normal.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wezil
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeH View Post
    It's completely irrelevant how any person chooses to live their life, or what issues they focus on here. It's still not ok to use derogatory language like that to describe him.

    It's not ok for anyone to define how gay it's acceptable for someone to act, and then bully them with abusive language if they cross that line.

    IIRC at one point Asher posted here that he didn't discuss his sexuality at work, this might have changed, but it was in case it caused him any issues. I see this as an example of how people can be forced to hide who the are for fear of negative consequences. I see the kind of justification of abuse that you are using here as part of that problem.

    I don't accept the "he was asking for it" argument either. I think it's perfectly reasonable for posters here to post robust challenges to instances of homophibia, racism, sexism or any other kind of discriminatory language.

    I hope you take this post in the manner it was intended as a constructive attempt to engage on an emotive topic, to try and prevent any escalation.
    I don't discuss my sexuality at work either. I'm not hiding from anyone, it just isn't the appropriate place.

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeH
    replied
    Helping someone who is sick is a good thing.

    Persecuting someone who is perfectly healthy and normal and trying to tell them that something about them is wrong, a sickness or that they need help to be 'fixed' is absolutely unacceptable.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X