This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wezil View Post
    The first line (before the edit add ons - I type way slower than you )
    I can understand why they changed their mind, it would've been more proper for him to be a man about it instead of just ignoring me. Spineless.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Rule 2 is Serious Business
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
        All rules apply the same to all members.
        If you believe that a rule has been violated, report the post or contact any of the mods in private.

Ben has the right to have an anti-gay opinion as much as you guys have the right to have an anti-religion opinion. Nobody has ever been banned for posting that christians or roman catholics are stupid brainwashed people, or something like that.
        If someone posts that gay all should die or that a certain person should have been killed already, then he'll receive the same penalty.

If I have missed posts like that, I am sorry.
        Please make me aware of them.
        Seems clear enough to me. I don't see what everyone's problem is. Perhaps read over this post by Robert again.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• I've reported many posts by Ben which slander gays as a whole in a hateful manner, which is against the rules as I understand. If they are not, they should be. Racists should not be allowed to express their opinions here, neither should gay-hating bigots.

Plomp has done nothing.

His words are hollow, and you are gullible.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• If we used that standard, i.e. "can't express opposition to a culture, group, belief, or life style" then everyone who bashes religion or says bigoted things about religion would also be banned.

Having a view you disagree with isn't a bannable offense. Sorry. Telling someone they should die is an entirely different category.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• So you're saying if we had a bonafide raving racist here, you think that's fine?

I think it's detrimental to the community.

:shrug:

Maybe you like racists and homophobes. I sure don't. I don't want them here. The longer they stay here, the more I think I need to leave. Racism should be a banable offense at most civilized websites, as should homophobic bigots. Why would anyone want to hang around those kinds of people?

Comment

• Order of the Fly
                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  So you're saying if we had a bonafide raving racist here, you think that's fine?

I think it's detrimental to the community.

:shrug:

Maybe you like racists and homophobes. I sure don't. I don't want them here. The longer they stay here, the more I think I need to leave.
                  Heh, as per your own words earlier, we look at actions not people.

So lets say we have a racist here. Lets say they make a thread arguing that we should have intelligence tests to determine whether someone should be allowed to vote. He argues that white people would do better on those tests and he thinks that is the natural order of things.

He is a racist. Should that person be banned?

Comment

• And if you go on a rant about the first amendment, I'm going to smack you. This is a private site.

Boy scouts can kick out gays, Apolyton can kick out homophobic bigots and racists.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                      Heh, as per your own words earlier, we look at actions not people.

So lets say we have a racist here. Lets say they make a thread arguing that we should have intelligence tests to determine whether someone should be allowed to vote. He argues that white people would do better on those tests and he thinks that is the natural order of things.

He is a racist. Should that person be banned?
                      It's borderline, but no.

On the other hand, if he says black people should not be allowed to vote because they are black...yes, they should be banned. That person would be a racist and should not be welcome here.

And that is far more comparable to Ben's opinions, even if a bit more tame than his. Let's keep this honest, Ozzy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        It's borderline, but no.

On the other hand, if he says black people should not be allowed to vote because they are black...yes, they should be banned.

And that is far more comparable to Ben's opinions, even if a bit more tame than his. Let's keep this honest, Ozzy.
                        We could debate over which example is closer to Ben's opinion, but ok, we can go with "black people should not be allowed to vote because they are black" No, I don't think that should be a bannable offense.

If someone says to a black poster "you should be lynched" then yes, that person should be banned.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                          We could debate over which example is closer to Ben's opinion, but ok, we can go with "black people should not be allowed to vote because they are black" No, I don't think that should be a bannable offense.

If someone says to a black poster "you should be lynched" then yes, that person should be banned.
                          So the heterosexual white male has no problems with racists or homophobes so long as it's not inciting murder. Noted.

Hopefully other people are brighter than you are and recognize the tension such people can bring to the site. And such tension is never beneficial. Never.

Comment

• a modest proposition

how about all the mods and admins just quit and award this site to asher?

Comment

• well if we had a 'bonafide raving racist' here then they would probably get a drubbing in every thread where they posted their hateful opinions. much like ben does when he posts here. all he has is stamina. oh wait, actually, that's not true. he also has a small cadre of posters who are willing to engage him in the same old debates every time, when they all know full well what his views are and the dishonest tactics he employs to defend them. i can't understand why otherwise intelligent people get sucked in playing this silly game, over and over again.

getting outraged everytime ben says something outrageous is not a great strategy, and we all know this. i firmly believe that if people ignored him, he would just go away, but people obviously lack that self-control.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• If Ben can't be banned for being homophobic, can he be banned for being sexist?

http://apolyton.net/forums/showpost....&postcount=512

Comment

Working...
                                X