Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which ancient Greek deity would you worship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never knew why I find Hekate so cool...
    wikipedia gave me the answer:
    The frog, significantly a creature that can cross between two elements, also is sacred to Hecate.[49]
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

Zeus, because some people need to be struck down by a lightning bolt.

Athena, wisdom & war.

Aphrodite
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

You'd take Aphrodite over Athena?

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Dionysus, the man-womanish god of wine, and also vines and theater iirc.
          Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
          Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
            You'd take Aphrodite over Athena?

I was wondering if Ben would be the next to post.

ZOT!!!
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Hmm.

YHWH grants immunity to Greek gods.

Didn't you know?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Apollo, god of light and the sun; truth and prophecy; archery; medicine and healing; music, poetry, and the arts; and more.

As the patron of Delphi (Pythian Apollo), Apollo was an oracular god — the prophetic deity of the Delphic Oracle. Medicine and healing were associated with Apollo, whether through the god himself or mediated through his son Asclepius. Apollo was also seen as a god who could bring ill-health and deadly plague as well as one who had the ability to cure. Amongst the god's custodial charges, Apollo became associated with dominion over colonists, and as the patron defender of herds and flocks. As the leader of the Muses (Apollon Musagetes) and director of their choir, Apollo functioned as the patron god of music and poetry. Hermes created the lyre for him, and the instrument became a common attribute of Apollo. Hymns sung to Apollo were called paeans.

Apollo's most common attributes were the bow and arrow. Other attributes of his included the kithara (an advanced version of the common lyre), the plectrum and the sword. Another common emblem was the sacrificial tripod, representing his prophetic powers. The Pythian Games were held in Apollo's honor every four years at Delphi. The bay laurel plant was used in expiatory sacrifices and in making the crown of victory at these games. The palm was also sacred to Apollo because he had been born under one in Delos. Animals sacred to Apollo included wolves, dolphins, roe deer, swans, cicadas (symbolizing music and song), hawks, ravens, crows, snakes (referencing Apollo's function as the god of prophecy), mice and griffins.

In literary contexts, Apollo represents harmony, order, and reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                  Hmm.

YHWH grants immunity to Greek gods.

Didn't you know?
                  How about Ba'al? He could probably zap Yahweh with a lightning being the Canaanite version of mighty Thor, and Yahweh being a mere tribal god of an uppity band of Egyptian refugees.

Comment

Seeing as YHWH incinerated the priests of Ba'al I don't think YHWH has much to fear from them.

Comment

In Gibbon's Decline & Fall of the Roman Empire, he states that the early Christians refused to worship the Roman Gods, not because they were false, but because the Christians believed they were Lucifer and the other Dark Angels who'd been thrown out of Heaven.

Comment

That seems rather farfetched. Wouldn't it more reasonable to assume that early Christians, like Judaic believers, simply treated all other gods as pagan? (As in Augustine's De Civitate Dei contra Paganos: The City of God against the Pagans, commonly known as City of God. And Nike, ofcourse, was the goddess of - military - victory, rather than of the footwear of who reported this from, say, Marathon.)
                        Last edited by JEELEN; August 11, 2009, 03:23.

Comment

Working...
                        X