Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man buys pack of cigs; bank charges him $23 quadrillion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how peculiar. is that his credit card number?
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

According to Slashdot, 2314885530818450000 (the charge) is 20 20 20 20 20 20 12 50 in hexadecimal. So some "20"s has been prepended. 20 is a space in ASCII.
      http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Too many digits for his c.c. number anyway.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

1250 in hex is 46.88$

Too high for a single pack. Maybe right for a carton.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            1250 in hex is 46.88$

Too high for a single pack. Maybe right for a carton.
            And nobody would mix ascii hexa values with hexa values.
            If the full number is to be taken as an ascii value, then all of it should be ascii (20 = space; 12 = DC2; 50 = P)
            The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I say reassign all the world debt to this one guy and let all those obligations die when he goes bankrupt. That way all of us (people and states) start over without anyone defaulting.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

That sneaky Obama

I was wondering how he was going to pay off the deficit.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Would the bank have returned its TARP loan?
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    I discovered the error as I was leaving the bank and looking over my bank book (yes, a printed bank book ). I returned to the teller and told her of her mistake.
                    I had a bankbook as a kid. I still have that same account although It isn't my primary account. My mom still has it somewhere in her storage shed probably. I wonder if any bank has those any longer.
                    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                      If the bank made that kind of error in my favor, I'd pay off the world's debt. That would probably cause hyperinflation though.
                      Yep, with enough left over for a Chinese. That's living
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

That price is cheap, those things could have killed him, slowly, rotting him from the inside out.
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

One teller deposited over 4 million$ in my account once. She noticed it right away. Man the look of panic in her eyes
                          What?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                            I had it happen to me once. Was credited with about 50 bucks.

They were having major problems with their system.

I didn't find out about it until they sent me back a letter saying they had credited me 50 bucks and wanted it back. I checked it and sure enough, they had.
                            Ben, real life is not a game of Monopoly. Also, you didn't win a beauty contest.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Of course I didn't. I finished second place.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The only thing you'd come second place in is a loser content. The rest, you'd just lose
                                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X