Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man buys pack of cigs; bank charges him $23 quadrillion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man buys pack of cigs; bank charges him $23 quadrillion.

That is many, many, many times the combined total of the entire US national debt and yet the bank was reluctant to admit its error and reverse the charge! That's some expensive smokes. ****ing banks.

US smoker chokes on cost of habit

A man in the United States popped out to his local petrol station to buy a pack of cigarettes - only to find his card charged $23,148,855,308,184,500.

That is $23 quadrillion (£14 quadrillion) - many times the US national debt.

"I thought somebody had bought Europe with my credit card," said Josh Muszynski, from New Hampshire.

He says his appeals to his bank first met with little understanding, though it eventually corrected the error.

It also waived the usual $15 overdraft fee.

"It was all back to normal," Mr Muszynski told his local television station, WMUR. "They reversed the negative balance fee, which was nice."

Debt crisis

His nightmare began when he checked his online bank account a few hours after buying the cigarettes.

He thought he would be a couple of hundred dollars in the black. But his overdraft had pushed him into the red - by an amount equivalent to many times the entire US national debt.

"It is a lot of money in the negative," he said. "Something I could never, ever, afford to pay back.

"My children could not afford it, grandchildren, nothing like that."

In panic, Mr Muszynski rushed back to the petrol station, but they were unable to help. He says he then spent two hours on the phone with the Bank of America.

Eventually, it assured him it would be fixed - and the next morning, it had been.

But no-one has yet explained to Mr Muszynski how such a astonishing error could have been made.
    Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Last edited by ZEE; January 2, 2011, 21:47.
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I might just quit at that price.

Maybe.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
        I might just quit at that price.

Maybe.

Maybe, though, I'm not shure
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Perhaps I'd cut back a bit.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Holy smokes, did you hear that? *KA CHING!!!* There it is again!
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

It also waived the usual $15 overdraft fee.

Comment

That'll be how much a packet of cigarettes will cost in the UK if Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling get their way
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

And big tobacco succeeds in purchasing Canada and Mexico with just 1 pack of cigarettes.
                  "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
                  "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Comment

If the bank made that kind of error in my favor, I'd pay off the world's debt. That would probably cause hyperinflation though.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Banks rarely error in your favor.

I only recall hearing about it once, and it was mentioned on poly.

Comment

I had it happen to me once. Was credited with about 50 bucks.

They were having major problems with their system.

I didn't find out about it until they sent me back a letter saying they had credited me 50 bucks and wanted it back. I checked it and sure enough, they had.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov View Post
                          Banks rarely error in your favor.

I only recall hearing about it once, and it was mentioned on poly.
                          I've had it happen, but only the one time. I was 16 and making $6.00/hr working construction during the summer. One Friday, I went to cash my check, gave the teller my account number to show that I had an account with them, and got back both the full amount ($186, if memory serves) in cash and a deposit slip for the same amount, which I discovered after getting back home. The next day, they called, apologized and fixed the problem.
                          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

When I was 9 I deposited 120$ into my savings account (6 months of allowance and mowing the lawn). That brought my balance to ~380$. The teller then credited my account with an additional deposit the size of my balance, bringing my balance to 760$ or so. I discovered the error as I was leaving the bank and looking over my bank book (yes, a printed bank book ). I returned to the teller and told her of her mistake. I'm sure they would have discovered it at the end of the day anyway.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Just maybe he will quit smoking.

Comment

Working...
                              X