real temp;
          temp := 0;
          for i := lo step 1 until hi do
             temp := temp + term;
          sum := temp
       end;
       print (sum (i, 1, 100, 1/i))
    end
    Used with the mentioned compiler it will give 5.187...
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

don't know algol.
      i realize how term is used to define the increment size, depending on i but why would would you need to pass i?

Comment

Well, to be honest, it was the guys next door that used it (I made clients while they made server side components back in 85). That piece of code I stoled from :

;
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It appears to have a football pitch on it but where are the guns?
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The LCS is the Navy's version of the MCS. Less crew somehow means better combat efficiency. It is cheaper for the government to build robots who don't eat, sleep, require paychecks or medical care, than it is to hire a single sailor/airman/trooper. The recruitment, training, uniforms, barracks/billets, food, medical, dental, transit, etc. all add up to a very high amount. When I got in the Army my drill told us that each of us new recruits cost about a million a piece just due to our excess costs. Which seems a bit drastic, but the idea is right. Make the military less reliant on people so we can save money, that seems exactly how politicians think *now that extra money can go where they want it to*. Whats that mean for combat? Depending on who the few soldiers left are, morale could be an issue. You may find yourself asking if the robot should be acting so autonomous when it does not have the voice of reason...such as a robot being able to tell the difference between a 14 year old boy with a gun and a 42 year old man with a gun. All these future weapons are a waste. Trying to cut corners on defense by investing billions upon billions in everything and anything that has "unmanned" attached to it is ridiculous. Besides, some people rely on the military for their careers....some people just don't want out.
            "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
            "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
              There's a RAM located aft for that. Not much in the way of air defense beyond that, but it is not meant to operate by itself in a hostile air environment(I know, I know, famous last words...).
              They're gonna freakin' ram incoming missles? Was this thing designed by the Confederate Navy?

Can't they detail Shore Patrol to protect it when in port?
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

1.) funny funny. Wiki "Rolling Airframe Missile"

2.) If you have to have a dedicated shore patrol that defeats the purpose of the smaller crew. In reality though, they are talkin about in port manuevering and berthing in foriegn ports.
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                  It's probably nice to have the ability to make such turns when there are torpedoes, but how does she deal with "exocet"'s ? (replace exocet with newest such thingy).
                  It looks stealthy to me.

so why the need for speed?
                  To get to whereever it's needed ASAP?

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
                    It looks stealthy to me.

To get to whereever it's needed ASAP?
                    Fore she could look stealthy, but I doubt - aft, well, any radar operator would need sunglasses to cope with the light

The speed cost a lot, both $ and capability wise.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

You would be surprised how steathy those things can be regardless of the shape. A DDG looks no bigger than a small fishing ship on radar, this things profile is much smaller. Since it is operating in the litorals looking no different than the hundred other small fishing/utility vessels all over the place is stealth.
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

hmmm... interesting...

Comment

What does all this have to do with pointers?

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Seriously? You want KH to lose respect for you?
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov View Post
                              don't know algol.
                              Oh. He was Vice President under Clinton. Later he went on to win an Oscar for a documentary he made, and he now makes occasional guest appearances on South Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
                                Oh. He was Vice President under Clinton. Later he went on to win an Oscar for a documentary he made, and he now makes occasional guest appearances on South Park.
                                No, he makes occassional appearences on Futurama. The Al Gore on South Park is Trey Parker making a funny noise.
                                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Working...
                                X