The Navy ship of the Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Navy ship of the Future?

The LCS-2 Independence finally got underway for sea trials last week. While I think it's a neat looking ship, I wouldn't want to serve on her.

Looks like she can turn on a dime.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
    I wouldn't want to serve on her.
    Why not?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It's probably nice to have the ability to make such turns when there are torpedoes, but how does she deal with "exocet"'s ? (replace exocet with newest such thingy).
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
        Why not?

With only a 40 man crew? You're talking 24hrs on/off for duty sections while inport in San Diego/Norfolk wherever.

I've also seen photos of LCS-1(which is a different class but same crew size) performing an UNREP with 28 Goddamn sailors out there pulling the hose across.

If the USN doesn't want sailors doing unspeakable things to detailers to avoid being sent to an LCS, they are going to have to increase the crew size.
        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
          It's probably nice to have the ability to make such turns when there are torpedoes, but how does she deal with "exocet"'s ? (replace exocet with newest such thingy).
          There's a RAM located aft for that. Not much in the way of air defense beyond that, but it is not meant to operate by itself in a hostile air environment(I know, I know, famous last words...).

Comment

I wouldn't mind serving on it. But I am curious about how rough that ship is in heavy seas.

I imagine the crew size is thought out well ahead of time. I'm sure everything is automated not requiring "watches".

Comment

With only a 40 man crew? You're talking 24hrs on/off for duty sections while inport in San Diego/Norfolk wherever.

I've also seen photos of LCS-1(which is a different class but same crew size) performing an UNREP with 28 Goddamn sailors out there pulling the hose across.

If the USN doesn't want sailors doing unspeakable things to detailers to avoid being sent to an LCS, they are going to have to increase the crew size.
              This kind of mindset is exactly why we need to get rid of manned military vehicles.

What a waste.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Dis View Post
                I wouldn't mind serving on it. But I am curious about how rough that ship is in heavy seas.

I imagine the crew size is thought out well ahead of time. I'm sure everything is automated not requiring "watches".

Yeah, but in port you still need to man force protection watches, which is what I'm concerned about.

I know you only worked on birdfarms with a zillion people on it, but small boys are different stories.

Asher, in fact the LCS concept is that it operates as a mothership for unmanned vehicles.
                Last edited by Lonestar; July 14, 2009, 17:04. Reason: added "as"

Comment

Yeah, but in port you still need to man force protection watches, which is what I'm concerned about.

I know you only worked on birdfarms with a zillion people on it, but small boys are different stories.

Asher, in fact the LCS concept is that it operates as a mothership for unmanned vehicles.
                  Not far enough. The LCS itself needs to be operated by robots.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

There's a RAM located aft for that. Not much in the way of air defense beyond that, but it is not meant to operate by itself in a hostile air environment(I know, I know, famous last words...).
                    If I understand it right, then it's supposed to make fast ground/sea shore attacks - I guess that it will do such on it's own since no other ships can follow. Either there is no enemy air defense or it has been defeated, so why the need for speed ?
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

According to Wikipedia:
                      Because of the risk of fire on the all aluminum ship, smoking is not permitted on board.
                      Not very comforting for a warship, which you would expect to be shot at if it ever tries to perform its primary function...
                      http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by Thue View Post
                        According to Wikipedia:

Not very comforting for a warship, which you would expect to be shot at if it ever tries to perform its primary function...
                        It could be a part of the building process, but don't worry - even if all the crew was smoking cuban cigars, there are no danger of it to catch fire.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

no smoking

This isn't the only aluminum ship. Cruisers and frigates are aluminum above the main deck. And they allow smoking.

I mean seriously. WTF. Did they just pull this reason out of their ass? Smoking is normally only permissible on the sponson or fantail (depending on the ship). It's not like crews are lighting up inside (though some engineering types did smoke in the engine/fire rooms- shhh don't tell anyone).

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                            If I understand it right, then it's supposed to make fast ground/sea shore attacks - I guess that it will do such on it's own since no other ships can follow. Either there is no enemy air defense or it has been defeated, so why the need for speed ?
                            To get out of harm's way.(I'm serious)

It's suppose to be a cheap(ish) way of providing sea control assets for the USN. The idea being that it swaps out "modules" and a "mission crew" for whatever the mission is at hand. If it's suppose to do ASW stuff, it goes into port and loads a ASW module and mission crew. If it's suppose to to anti-surface stuff, it loads that instead.

Really, the driving factor I think is that the USN decided we don't need $2bil Destroyers w/350+crew chasing pirates around.

Thue, yup, and no repair lockers are manned when general quarters is called on ship. The hope is that the automated damage control systems work their magic.

Comment

No, it's so stealthy that the fire would come from enemy guns if anyone lit up on board and gave their position away.

Comment

Working...
                              X