No announcement yet.

Should I stay or should I go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First, you will absolutely have to have a car.

The Getty Villa in Malibu and the Getty Museum are worth seeing.
    Venice Beach has an eclectic mix of characters.
    The Tar Pits Museum is worth a visit also.
    Sunset Boulevard from UCLA to the ocean is a great drive.
    As is PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) from Newport Beach to Malibu.
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
      Meh - go to Purgatory instead. I hear it's always warm and toasty down there.
      Is that a beach? or are you referring to limbo. Tampa in the middle of July is my idea of fiery hell

Comment

Any reasons not to go other than the $250?

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Mon River Monarch View Post
          Is that a beach? or are you referring to limbo. Tampa in the middle of July is my idea of fiery hell
          Anywhere far enough south in United States is purgatory during the summer, that's for sure.

Just ask Sloww.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Hmm, I've been twice.

Personally, I'd go. It's 250 bucks well spent.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
              For comparison purposes, it would be worth it to me to visit (assuming I'd never been, which is true for some of these):

NYC, Boston, DC, Miami, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, New Orleans, Las Vegas, Nashville, Philly, Kansas City, Detroit, Honolulu, a number of smaller cities with interesting histories/native culture.

If I didn't know anybody in the following cities then it probably wouldn't be worth it:

Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, anything in Ohio, Seattle, Atlanta, Phoenix, Omaha, Pittsburg
              SF is the only city that could be considered in the PNW that you listed, and it isn't really PNW.

I would recommend Portalnd/Vidctoria/Seattle as good cities to visit (true PNW cities).

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
                Any reasons not to go other than the $250?

-Arrian
                The 150$ that I'd definitely spend on car rental + gas, the 150+$ I'd spend doing anything fun at all, the 4-5 days added to my toils as an academic serf.
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You have papers to read?

Read the papers on the beach drinking Mojitos.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    For comparison purposes, it would be worth it to me to visit (assuming I'd never been, which is true for some of these):

NYC, Boston, DC, Miami, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, New Orleans, Las Vegas, Nashville, Philly, Kansas City, Detroit, Honolulu, a number of smaller cities with interesting histories/native culture.

If I didn't know anybody in the following cities then it probably wouldn't be worth it:

Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, anything in Ohio, Seattle, Atlanta, Phoenix, Omaha, Pittsburg
                    I find it hilarious that you didn't put any Canadian cities on either list.

Comment

Portland/Victoria/Seattle
                      He could visit me.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

KH has become thoroughly Americanized.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Kuci

Why? I deliberately restricted myself to American cities. Canadians know US cities. Americans don't know Canadian cities. The gap with Euros is too high for any meaningful information exchange.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

OK, fair enough. My interpretation was that you're so thoroughly Americanized that you didn't even think of non-US cities.

Comment

The real problem with listing Canadian cities was that, in my mind, it might skew the perspective of Americans (my assumption is that they would add some small amount to interesting/different/novelty of any city not in the US, as I would for any city in Europe, though to a smaller extent).

I had Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Halifax, Ottawa and Calgary listed prior to deletion, by the way. And not all of them in the "would visit" category.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Kuci: suggest career path for me which will take me to Australia for 5-10 years starting 5-10 years from today. Want to hit for the anglosphere cycle. UK shouldn't be a problem. AUS is like a triple.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X