Should I stay or should I go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I stay or should I go?

Wife's going to Anaheim for a conference 25-31 of July, is staying in a hotel room by herself.

I can go for part/all of that time if I pony up the airfare, which looks to be 250$ or so. Here's the background: I've never been to LA (or California at all, for that matter). I'd be by myself for most of the day. Is there awesome **** I could do/see there which would make it worth the money to visit? I'd be willing to rent a car for a couple of days to hit LA or go to a beach.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Yes, go.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

June 19, 2009, 11:23
      Remove user from ignore list
      SlowwHand
      This message is hidden because SlowwHand is on your ignore list.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Whatever, dude. I was trying to let you know that you would have a good time.
        No skin off my ass, though, if you don't want to know.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The beach is free (even parking some places). Everything else in SoCal is not worth it IMO. On the plus side, if social services stop being paid out while you're there, there's likely to be lots of rioting and looting opportunities... and you might even be able to set yourself up as some sort of warlord using "magic" (physics) to entertain/amaze the locals after the apocalypse.

Comment

I'm more likely to end up as Brain than the Duke, I'm afraid.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Just watch out for mines! :P

Comment

QFT

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                Yes, go.
                bleh

Comment

The downsides and marginal risk seem minimal and the airfare isn't much. What am I missing?

Edit: Why does Escape from LA come to mind?
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Because Aeson touched on that theme, and I made an explicit reference to escape from new york?
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Anaheim is pretty boring; car rental is near mandatory if you want to do anything interesting. Is she staying near the convention center?

Some nice restaurants, especially down by the water (need car). Seafood/sushi is generally great around there. There's baseball, Disney (tons of families with kids), some nice golf courses. When I have a rental car, I usually end up taking the 5 up to Hollywood/North Hollywood (90 minutes) and hit the club scene. You can also do the studio audience thing up there with some advance planning.

So it depends on what you consider "fun."
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

That must be why. Thanks.

But as I recall, Escape from New York was about 10x better than Escape from LA.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

IF you've never been to lala land, I would suggest going. It's hard to understand just how wacked the place is until you've been there.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

and i'm sure you can arrange to hang with oerdin again.
                            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

For comparison purposes, it would be worth it to me to visit (assuming I'd never been, which is true for some of these):

NYC, Boston, DC, Miami, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, New Orleans, Las Vegas, Nashville, Philly, Kansas City, Detroit, Honolulu, a number of smaller cities with interesting histories/native culture.

If I didn't know anybody in the following cities then it probably wouldn't be worth it:

Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, anything in Ohio, Seattle, Atlanta, Phoenix, Omaha, Pittsburg
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X