Non-US TV dramas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-US TV dramas

I've been on a binge of bad Asian TV drama (translated to English) torrented from d-addicts and was wondering the availability of equally bad European, South American, Canadian and ANZAC dramas. Are there any sites for these dramas similar to d-addicts? Any bad series to recommend?

We get some BBC stuff over here and things like the new Battlestar Galactica, a US/UK joint. But other than that, nada.

Asian drama is very low quality and I dislike the reliance on extreme gross sappiness. But I like the form -- usually about a dozen or so episodes that tell a story linearly. US TV has several shows worth watching, but the episodes tend to stand alone more often. The overall story is sometimes almost incidental.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

I'd say that American TV is moving very strongly towards serial dramas.

Most of the time they're semi-episodic, where there's a short story for each episode, with a longterm background arc. That's kind of how Battlestar Galactica was. Also The Shield, Lost, Jericho, and Six Feet Under to name a few.

Then you've got shows where one episode is unsatisfying, and only the whole season really tells a meaningful story. The Wire is like that, and also I'd include Mad Men. Have you seen those? Might want to check them out, before resorting to any more foreign crap. Remember, if they could make good TV, they would have fat couch potato populations like we do.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Felch's tv preferences are straight out of "stuff white people like".

BTW I've watch all of both of those series but it's still funny when a white person acts exactly like the stereotype.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Felch: Good points, all.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
          Felch's tv preferences are straight out of "stuff white people like".

BTW I've watch all of both of those series but it's still funny when a white person acts exactly like the stereotype.
          Took a quick look at my skin, and, yep, I'm white.

Comment

Bump.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
              I'd say that American TV is moving very strongly towards serial dramas.
              Dude, we've been there for years. The JJ Abrams-style serial drama essentially defines this decade's television. (Ignoring reality TV.)

Comment

Good canadian drama? I liked North of 60 back in the day.

Can't stand Corner Gas. It's incredibly boring.

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                  Dude, we've been there for years. The JJ Abrams-style serial drama essentially defines this decade's television. (Ignoring reality TV.)
                  I'd say that most still have an semi-episodic structure. DanS appears to want something more like a soap opera that doesn't suck. Mad Men and The Wire come to my mind. Because I'm white.

Comment

It seem you want TV for morons. Stay at home or come to Russia.
                    Medvedchik, mne nado tolko malinki nozh. Chik-chik :)

Comment

OMG, I've just witnessed a resurrection!

(Which is, incidentally, the plot device used in a K-Drama that I'm watching now -- She Came Back.)

Any particular Russian TV dramas that I should watch?

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                        I'd say that most still have an semi-episodic structure.
                        Yes, but just like the 90s' formula du jour was the Hercules-esque adventure show, the "Lost clones" are our decade's thing.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                          OMG, I've just witnessed a resurrection!

(Which is, incidentally, the plot device used in a K-Drama that I'm watching now -- She Came Back.)

Any particular Russian TV dramas that I should watch?
                          it depend on your patience and I am no longer to date as I am in London. A good start is anything from South America. When I was little we had things from Venezuela and Mexico.

Prosto Maria?
                          Medvedchik, mne nado tolko malinki nozh. Chik-chik :)

Comment

Kraut TV mostly sucks, I can't think of any good tv series I'd recommend. Sometimes tv movies made here are good though, but it's rare. Our tv stations mostly produce cheap low quality crap and buy better (well, if we're lucky) shows from elsewhere.
                            Blah

Comment

Unfortunately, "prosto maria" filetype:torrent shows nothing on google.

Welcome back. I'm surprised that you are back on Poly. Or did you just post under another name?

Comment

Working...
                              X