Let's judge this woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
    So you maintain that no kidnappings happen in a good shopping district?
    It can happen anywhere, but if parents cannot manage to leave their kids alone three miles from home then they will need to guard them 24/7. Like most people here I headed out alone (with my neighbour) for an entire day without my parents worrying about me too much. I thought this was normal procedure when growing up?

Mom
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Guilty, I'm a new judge trying to make a reputation for myself.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        So you maintain that no kidnappings happen in a good shopping district?
        Well, I maintain (1) damned few abductions of children by strangers happen, period; (2) the number of children abducted by strangers today is no higher than it was 35 years ago, when I was 12 -- but we're more aware of it today, because now we have a nationwide database instead of the gazillion local reports of my youth, as well as a 24/7 news cycle in endless need of content; and (3) child abduction by strangers is overwhelmingly a premeditated crime, not a crime of opportunity. So, yeah, these kids, at that age, only a few miles from home, and dropped off unexpectedly, were in no more danger than most American kids at most times.

It just seems more dangerous than it used to be because now we're a nation of frightened pvssies.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
          It just seems more dangerous than it used to be because now we're a nation of frightened pvssies.
          QFT. When che and I were in grammar school we routinely walked to/from school 1 mile each way (1 1/2 in middle school). Hell, in 5th-6th grade I walked home for lunch and back, either to my house or downtown.

Still now I can't imagine letting my kid do that. Maybe it's the "I was a boy and she's a girl" thing.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
            Why are those days over?
            Because the crime rate has decreased since then.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Im a parent and grandparent

I would wonder how many here who thought it was "cool" would so after raising a child, everyday, and then because of a knee jerk action, discharging the children alone, if something did happen to them would stuill feel it was "cool"?
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I could be wrong but I seem to recall reading that Leslie Mahaffy's mother locked her out of the house to teach her a lesson because she had missed curfew one too many times. Of course, that was the night that she was nabbed by Paul Bernardo.

Having said that, there is a world of difference between locking your soon-to-be 15 year old daughter out of the house at night and making your kids get out of the car a couple miles from home one afternoon.
                If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

Honestly, unless there are shocking new revelations, I think it highly unlikely that she'll be convicted.

But since she's a lawyer in the city, I bet the kids were just acting out due to general neglect by a crackberry addict.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It's like 3½ miles. Maybe a bit far to make the kids walk, but not criminal.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by embalmer42 View Post
                      I could be wrong but I seem to recall reading that Leslie Mahaffy's mother locked her out of the house to teach her a lesson because she had missed curfew one too many times. Of course, that was the night that she was nabbed by Paul Bernardo.

Having said that, there is a world of difference between locking your soon-to-be 15 year old daughter out of the house at night and making your kids get out of the car a couple miles from home one afternoon.
                      No, there's not. The girl you write of was in her own front yard, right? Either one is wrong. There are other ways.
                      You don't use your child as bait to make a point.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Leave the kids behind?

Just stop and sit and don't go again until they are behaving.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Or stand their ass in a corner from now through eternity if that's what it takes.
                          Personally, I think a good swat is the answer. I think I spanked Summer once, and slapped her mouth once over sass.
                          Two real instances in her whole life. Evidently, something was ok.

EDIT: I forgot. There was also "the look" that she talks about.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You could just kill those two and have more to replace them, too. And then you tell your new kids that the last ones were such idiots, and that unless they want to end up like them, they'd better behave.

MAKE EXAMPLES OF THEM, PEOPLE!
                            B♭3

Comment

Perhaps a better solution would have been to pull the car over, force them out and to sit on the sidewalk to work out their differences, while the parent stays inside & chills out listening to the radio. Only let them back in when they've agreed to be nice to each other.

That said, as a non-parent, I'm going to refrain from either judging too harshly or too leniently. I just don't know.
                              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                              Drake Tungsten
                              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                              Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Az View Post
                                I am unable to judge this woman - there is no picture of her.
                                Attached Files
                                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X