Let's judge this woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's judge this woman

Forget about not having all the facts (that never stopped us before).

Guilty or not guilty?

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - Usually, it's an empty threat: "If you kids don't stop fighting, I'm going to stop this car right now and leave you here!"

But police say a mother from an upper-crust New York suburb went through with it. She ordered her battling 10-and 12-year-old daughters out of her car in White Plains' business district. Then, she drove off.

Madlyn Primoff, a 45-year-old partner in a Manhattan law firm, pleaded not guilty Monday to a charge of endangering a child.

A temporary order of protection was issued, barring her from contact with the children, who were physically unharmed.

Primoff's lawyer, Vincent Briccetti, would not comment on details of the case.

"Madlyn is a great mother connected with a great family, and she is grateful for the outpouring of support from friends and family," he said Tuesday.

There wasn't much support from strangers, however. Mothers interviewed near the scene said they couldn't imagine doing what Primoff did, though some understood the urge.

Iris Gorodess, 49, of Mahopac, who has four children ranging from 10 to 19 years old, said she sympathized with Primoff's actions, right up to the point where she pulled away.

"I used to pull over and make the kids change seats. Also, I make sure the kids have their iPods and their games. And I have a minivan, so they're not up my neck all the time.

"But I can't see pulling away. That has to be too scary for the children."

White Plains police said Primoff ordered the arguing girls out of the car Sunday evening as they were driving home. She left them at Post Road and South Broadway, an area of shops and offices about five kilometres from their home, then drove off, the police report said.

The report does not say whether the girls had cellphones.

Police would not say if Primoff ever returned to look for the girls, but they said, without explaining how, that the 12-year-old eventually caught up with the mother. The 10-year-old was found by a "Good Samaritan" on the street, upset and emotional about losing her mother, police said.

The girl gave police her mother's name and their address in well-to-do Scarsdale, and they asked Scarsdale police to check Primoff's $2 million house. Shortly afterward, Primoff called Scarsdale police from home to say the 10-year-old was missing, said Scarsdale Det.-Lt. Bryant Clark.

He directed her to White Plains police headquarters, where she was arrested.

Dr. Richard Gersh, director of psychiatric services at the Jewish Board of Family and Children's Services in Manhattan, said Primoff's behaviour was not appropriate.

"It is a traumatic situation for a child to be abandoned by a parent like that. You can imagine what emotional issues might arise," he said.

Guilty - Punish her
    35.48%
    Not Guilty - This is acceptable parenting
    48.39%
    Bananas would have kept the kids quiet
    16.13%
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Child Protective Custody.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

And it appears that the 12 year old abandoned her sister as well.
      Even a fool is thought wise if he remains silent.

Comment

Serves the brats right!
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Soltz View Post
          And it appears that the 12 year old abandoned her sister as well.
          As I read the article - the mother is charged with a single count. I presume this relates to the 10 year old.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

"I used to pull over and make the kids change seats. Also, I make sure the kids have their iPods and their games. And I have a minivan, so they're not up my neck all the time.

This is the guilty mother.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I once kicked my younger brother out of my car for being mouthy.

He was fifteen at the time.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I tossed my brother as late as his being 45. Same reason.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

I am unable to judge this woman - there is no picture of her.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

You can't bluff the whole time, can you? Sometimes you have to show that you mean it.
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

There are other, more acceptable, ways to deal with a child.

Comment

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

You know, as a 12-year-old, I would routinely ride my bike (note to younger generation: "bike riding" was an outdoor activity frequently undertaken in the years before game consoles were invented) from my house to neighboring towns, all of which were farther from my home than White Plains is from Scarsdale. But now? Oh, boo-hoo, Mommy suggested you walk the last three miles to your house, traversing one upscale suburb in order to get to another! Call child welfare! Get a lawyer! Jesus, when did we become such a nation of fvcking pvssies?

Mom
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Yeah the kids are pus...

OK, I'll rephrase that. The kids are wimps with no life skills.
                            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Me and my brother got kicked out of a car once in early teens, but we were actually was glad to split up and disappear into the neighborhood and make the folks feel guilty. I would have just gone to a payphone and called a cab had they not circled around and finally found us an hour later or so, but apparently these two whiny brats are too goddamned coddled to even know what a payphone or cab are. Who needs 'em when you've got a parental chauffeur and an iPhone after all?

I sure as hell didn't feel "endangered" at any time ("liberated" is more like it), and this was in a ****tier area than the relative Maybury that White Plains appears to be, and it was almost 15 miles from home rather than the 3 in this case, so I'd likely acquit her. Had I been kidnapped and gang-raped during that incident, however, I might not be so sympathetic to her methods today.
                              Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                              X