This has been a bad day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This has been a bad day

Last Friday: Company has company-wide meeting discussing the realities of the situation (vs the sugar-coated nonsense [to put it nicely] we'd been getting). Sales are down, my company was very very heavily invested in the US investment bank business. Some of you know I was working with Lehman Brothers for 2 years of my 2.5 year duration at my consulting company. Dubai is our only bright spot, but I'm unwilling to move there.

Monday morning: Word came down the company grapevine that quite a few support staff (unbillable types -- project coordinators, marketing, sales, designers) got laid off. Not good. Rumours have it billable consultants are next.

Monday evening, 6pm: I get email from my "personnel manager" (which has nothing to do with my current project) to "Connect" with him at 10am in one of the big, private executive ofices. Extremely vague.

Analysis: In 2 weeks, the project I'm working on is done. By law, they must give 2-weeks notice before layoffs (or pay in lieu of). I'd been "unbillable" for significant portions of time between Lehman's collapse and today because my speciality (C++/unix in financial services) is not exactly in demand. I've done other things elsewhere, but my salary is high for the kind of work I've been doing in the meantime, not to mention the unbillable time where I didn't generate any revenue.

They appear to be targeting consultants who are not on any project currently ("on the bench") or who will be off a project shortly (like me). Looks like the bank accounts are running low and they can't afford to keep people on and hope the economy turns around soon. I'm a prime target due to my salary (which is quite a bit higher than the salary they hired new grads at last year) and speciality skillset (which is in a demand lull due to general world ****ed-upness), on top of being done my project soon.

As a result, I'm confident in 2 weeks I'll be unemployed. The good news is, the timing could be worse. My SO graduates from university in April (which is the entire reason I moved to Ontario and took this job anyway). I've got some money saved up and access to a relatively low-interest line of credit to leverage.

It's just kind of stressful. My SO's job that was lined up in Calgary has fallen through since the Oil prices have fallen as much as they have. As soon as I hear the news of the layoff for certain, I'll be giving my 2-months notice to vacate my rental apartment here. I'll begin applying for jobs immediately across the US & Canada, though I'm not expecting American companies will be hiring someone whose current residence is Canada right now. I'll be focusing mostly on Calgary, Toronto, Vancouver, and Ottawa. As will my SO (chemical engineering). If I don't find a job in those two months, I'll be putting my stuff in Ontario in storage (either in a locker or at my brother's place in Waterloo) and making the trans-Canada drive back to Calgary for the third time, and crash at my parent's place I get work, or my SO does.

So circumstances beyond my control over the next little bit will decide a big factor of my life: where I live. That's kind of exciting, actually.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Have a drink.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Also, sorry if I've been short with a few of you the past few days. This has been weighing on my mind.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

AAHZ-Summary™?
        Order of the Fly
        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
          Have a drink.
          Already started with the scotch. Just one or two glasses tonight, though. Don't want to be hungover.

I'm prone to being paranoid also, so maybe I'm just reading too much into things (but I doubt it).

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
            I'm prone to being paranoid.
            new AAHZ-SIG™? lol
            Order of the Fly
            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Also, sorry if I've been short with a few of you the past few days. This has been weighing on my mind.
              Asher apologized? Now I know you're not feeling well.
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'm prone to being paranoid also, so maybe I'm just reading too much into things (but I doubt it).
                  My best buddy, a few years back, survived his team getting laid off. He and his project manager were the only ones to survive that round of cost-cutting. Oddly enough, he knew layoffs were coming and I guess he developed a weird outlook in it, and tried hard to do as much as he could and do it well. Not because he was scared, but b/c he wanted to be able to say to himself if they cut him that it wasn't due to his lack of effort. Or some such.

Comment

I didn't read this post because I am wrestling with my sexuality.

Comment

Still?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                        I didn't read this post because I am wrestling with my sexuality.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                          My best buddy, a few years back, survived his team getting laid off. He and his project manager were the only ones to survive that round of cost-cutting. Oddly enough, he knew layoffs were coming and I guess he developed a weird outlook in it, and tried hard to do as much as he could and do it well. Not because he was scared, but b/c he wanted to be able to say to himself if they cut him that it wasn't due to his lack of effort. Or some such.
                          I've always worked hard and been recognized for it...it's come up in the year end reviews also.

In this case, it's a small enough company that the financials are just pretty cut and dry I think.

Comment

Comment

I seem to remember you pointing and laughing at me.

Good luck at finding work again Asher.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X