how to ask this question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agathon View Post
    Oh for God's sake. There are a bunch of people who would like to be considered high functioning autistics who aren't. It's the same crap as people who pretend they are bisexual and aren't.
    You're just bitter more people don't want to be called Philosophy majors.

Any mental disease that has apparently cool or positive aspects to it along with exclusivity is subject to people wanting or pretending to have it. It's the worst kind of trendy health stupidity.
    Yeah! Asperger's is soooooo cool! Also, synaesthesia. And aphasia looks fun.

This is nothing more than the equivalent of emo kids who pretend they suffer from depression because they want to make themselves seem more interesting to others.
    Well, to be fair, she's not the one who thinks so. But my experience with autistics is that you can ask them questions that would offend most people and they won't bat an eye, just as they tend to ask those questions to others without expecting to cause offense.
    B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon View Post
      That was unwise on my part. Perhaps I should have said "any psychological condition perceived as abnormal".

I don't have any reason to think bisexuality per se is a mental illness, but pretending to be when you're not seems to me to be one.

Posting only in italics is definitely up there.
      I dunno if it's really a mental illness, but I know a lot of girls tend to do this if only to get more attention from men. Katy Perry's big single is a shining example of that mentality.
      B♭3

Comment

anything that's used in the arsenal of an attention whore is suspect, be it alleged bisexuality or the trials and tribulations of their children.
        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Wait, are you saying that attention whores who talk about kids aren't really parents at all?
          B♭3

Comment

Interesting.

I've been on the receiving end of the similar question, when a girl that I care a great deal for asked me if I was one of those high-functioning autistic people.

I don't think it's a fair question to ask: "can you love fully?" All you mean by that question is that "can you love me in the way that I want to be loved?"

And to be honest if you are asking THAT question, you should be asking her if she wants to get married.

Do it the same way folks do about my hearing. Just ask point blank, by saying, "there's a few things I've noticed about you, and I was wondering if you are one of those high functioning autistic people?"

Frame it in such a way that you are interested in knowing more about her.

She'll likely respond in a positive fashion, ie no, I've not considered it and then ask, "what makes you think that I am?"

Or she'lll be grossly offended by the question, and if that's the case, it wouldn't have worked out for you two anyways.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
              anything that's used in the arsenal of an attention whore is suspect, be it alleged bisexuality or the trials and tribulations of their children.
              Where does always writing in italics fit in?
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Speaking of attention whores, nice twitter page..

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut View Post
                  Is there any possible way to confirm this without committing a massive faux pas?

No. Just forget about it.
                  QFDrake makes bloody sense - you've got a smart girlfriend, and why would you bother messing up something that sounds so good?

Comment

Working...
                  X