Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Case study in Republican insanity: California to go belly-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California should be drilling their ass off. They were offered what, 15 billion for offshore drilling rights?

No borrowing required. 15 billion for offshore rights, 25 billion in budget cuts, 0 dollars in taxes and 0 dollars in borrowing.

I can blow up the boxes way better then Schwartzenegger.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• How is this ever going to resolve itself, Oerdin? I heard that the districts are so gerrymandered in California so as to ensure that the Republicans will always have enough seats to prevent a tax increase.
      Oh sure. The fact that the democrats have 2/3rds of the gerrymandered seats means that the problem is the REPUBLICANS.

If California had 2/3rds republicans, they would be in much, much better shape. Tax increases during a recession are a horrible way of dealing with budget deficits.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        Oh sure. The fact that the democrats have 2/3rds of the gerrymandered seats means that the problem is the REPUBLICANS.

If California had 2/3rds republicans, they would be in much, much better shape. Tax increases during a recession are a horrible way of dealing with budget deficits.

If the Dems had 2/3 of the seats, there wouldn't be a problem. Repugs have 1/3 + about 3 seats, enough to sit, do nothing, and point their fingers at the Dems as the State goes to hell.

BTW: We finally got a budget -- however lousy and probably unconstitutional -- this morning.

Comment

• Arnie
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
            This is the sort of situation where'd I'd be inclined to favor the Aggie solution, i.e. shoot the Republican legislators one by one until a) they give in or b) they no longer make up >1/3 of the legislature.
            I would have envisioned his solution as more of an angry lynch mob sort of deal.

So are you denying that the Democrats are chosing to violate one constitutional requirement over another? The Republican's are doing the same, but at least their reasoning for doing so makes sense.
            If the two are mutually exclusive... Also it looks like the Republicans would prefer to violate both.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. I will give Obama credit, his speech yesterday (despite the applauding baffoons) was right on, it is time for buisness/government/individuals to start living within their means.
            And if the legislature is willing to raise taxes in order to be able to afford social programs that the people voted for, aren't the obstructionists being irresponsible?
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
            X