Bush, Abstinence, and AIDS in Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush, Abstinence, and AIDS in Africa

I had taken it for granted that Bush's PEPFAR, while great, was hampered by abstinence only education and no condoms. It seems, that while there was a great deal of funding for abstinence (33% of prevention budget), it was most definitely NOT abstience only and the US gave far more condoms than even Clinton was:

Especially interesting are pgs. 25, 33, 34, 35, and 36.

It seems that from 2001 to 2005, total condom procurement by the US went up from 348 million worldwide to 567 million worldwide and 115 million to 241 million among focus countries, and many more countries (like Botswana, Haiti, Rwanda and Tanzania) got condoms from the US that in 2001 had not.

A very interesting take on things and makes Bush's likely only success (though personally I think Iraq may end up one) look even better. And showed me something I wasn't aware of before.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

dp
    Last edited by Thue; January 28, 2009, 17:40.
    http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

There have enough failures, lies, incompetence, and huge costs from Iraq that it can never become a success in my book.

The best Bush can hope for on Iraq is neutral, in the very best case where all the Iraqis suddenly become model pacifist freedom-loving democratic capitalists, to even up the failures.
      http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

So, wait. Bush thinks it's okay to give condoms and sex education to Africans, but his party refuses to consider that for Americans?
        B♭3

Comment

There is less political pressure to do it for Africans .

Their parents won't go ape **** if they find out that their boy or girl learned how to put a condom on a banana for one. And, they can't vote in our elections.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

This is more sexual imperialism.

I'm surprised to see you change your tone Imran, now that Bush is out of office.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Not liking a person doesn't mean everything he did was evil .

Unlike some, I tend not to view things in black and white.

Comment

Wow, so it looks like I have already been proven correct inthe other thread.

Thanks Imran
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                  There is less political pressure to do it for Africans .

Their parents won't go ape **** if they find out that their boy or girl learned how to put a condom on a banana for one. And, they can't vote in our elections.
                  So, in other words, it's okay for black people to breed less? But good White Christian Conservatives, no, they should breed more.

But I thought Darwinism was supposed to be anti-God? I'm so confused!
                  B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Classic View Post
                    So, in other words, it's okay for black people to breed less? But good White Christian Conservatives, no, they should breed more.

Comment

It's easy to spin this any way you want, you know.
                      B♭3

Comment

First off, to this program. And I'll admit that I too assumed, given the screeching about the abstinence budget, that it was an abstinence only or abstinence mainly program. I was wrong about that. Kudos to Bush for this.

Second, Imran, WTF are you smoking?

though personally I think Iraq may end up [a success]
                        By which I think you mean that Iraq ends up stable(ish) and vaguely democratic, eventually. I agree that's possible. I don't see how it would make the policy a "success," considering the bull**** about WMDs, the cluster**** that was the first year or two of occupation, the hamfisted reconstruction effort, etc. I mean, set the bar a little higher, ya know? Maybe I'd give you "something better than abject failure."

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I think a stable, democratic, functional Iraq is a greater good in the long run than the screwups leading up to it and during until the Surge.

Comment

The africans generally just don't understand and use them for water balloons anyway.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I bet your head is a lot like a water balloon.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X