No announcement yet.

Americans voted for Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agreed. Except for me. I have special Markos permissions.

Comment

• Originally posted by TCO View Post
      Yer stoopid.
      You make stoopid look like Albert ****ing Einstein.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• Drake, you know I love you, you crazy bastard, but if we can't even agree on the fact that waterboarding obviously fits the US and International Red Cross definitions of torture, there is no ****ing point to this.

Actually, it doesn't really matter if we agree on calling it "torture" or not. 71% of Americans are on my side (ie. enhanced interrogations might be worth the cost in some cases) even if you call the techniques "torture"...

Overview Amid intense debate over the use of torture against suspected terrorists, public opinion about this issue remains fairly stable. Currently,

I wouldn't care a whit about using the term "torture" (even if I think it's inaccurate) to describe enhanced interrogations if it wasn't a means of shutting off debate on whether these techniques are worthwhile or not.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• It's still against the law, no matter what the polls say.
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Actually, I doubt waterboarding as performed by CIA interrogators was against the law. They had legal cover from the Bush Administration that would probably hold up in court if Obama decided to prosecute them. He won't do that, though, as he's not a moron.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• They had legal cover that supercedes a U.N. treaty signed by a U.S. President and ratified by the U.S. Senate?

Comment

• Yes. The CIA does usually illegal stuff overseas all the time with the approval of the President.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• It's still ILLEGAL, Drake.

Comment

• Actually, it's "extra-legal".
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• No. We are a ****ing nation of laws, and the laws apply to everyone. This **** can not be allowed. It needs to be fully investigated, and--yes--prosecuted, to ensure that it never happens again.

We're supposed to be the good guys, for ****'s sake.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                        Who cares?

It's ****ing torture!
                        That was directed at Drake.
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• We are a ****ing nation of laws, and the laws apply to everyone.

No, they don't. They don't apply to foreign citizens outside the U.S., for example. They also don't apply to CIA officers overseas who have the proper authorizations from the President and (eventually) Congress.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• **** us!
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                              No, they don't. They don't apply to foreign citizens outside the U.S., for example.
                              In this case, they do.

Comment

• Tell that to all the prisoners in Bagram.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X