Americans voted for Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waterboarding is not on the edge.

Of course it is. Whether or not it's torture all comes down to how severe you think the mental suffering produced is.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Its not on the edge in terms of US's position before 2001 on the matter.

Unless you believe the US's position prior to the previous administration as well as other countries that labeled waterboarding as torture when it was being done by the Vietnamese or Maoists were incorrect.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Its not on the edge in terms of US's position before 2001 on the matter.

The U.S. had been waterboarding its own servicemen for decades before 2001...
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Why have we been prosecuting waterboarding as a war crime for over a hundred years again?

-=Vel=-
          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
            Its not on the edge in terms of US's position before 2001 on the matter.

The U.S. had been waterboarding its own servicemen for decades before 2001...
            You mean in order to know what to expect if captured and tortured? We also gas our own servicemen for decades too.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• You mean in order to know what to expect if captured and tortured?

I think you're going to have a hard time convincing many people that a technique the U.S. government has approved for use on its own servicemen for decades and that is willingly engaged in by reporters looking for a story inflicts, without question, mental suffering severe enough to qualify it as "torture". It's on the edge.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• So using chemical warfare is an on-the-edge war crime since we do it to our own troops?

Comment

• I don't know what you're talking about.

edit: Are you talking about mustard gas experiments that happened in WWII?
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Drake, there's a difference between a technique used by people you know to be your friends and people whose intentions you may not understand. Particularly when the distress/discomfort caused by the technique has a large psychological component.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I agree that the chemical warfare comparison is over the top, but it technically IS a war crime to use teargas against enemy soldiers...
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Drake, there's a difference between a technique used by people you know to be your friends and people whose intentions you may not understand. Particularly when the distress/discomfort caused by the technique has a large psychological component.

I agree. I'm not definitively stating that waterboarding isn't torture; I think it can be depending on how it's used. I just disagree with Imran's contention that it isn't "on the edge" between torture and non-torture. The U.S. wouldn't be using it in training if it wasn't acceptable in some cases.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• The US position has always been that its use against American soldiers by anybody other than the US government in a training setting constitutes torture.

I agree with that position. And I think that this clearly implies that its use against enemy combatants by the US constitutes torture.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Drake is arguing semantics again.

And my buddies who went into the service in the 80s were gassed as part of training. Of course it was weak pepper spray, but standing in a room full of it, waiting for your turn to shout name, rank, and # would still probably suck.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

• My father got CS(?) gassed in ~1970 during his short time in the RCAF
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Did he fly?
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X